Pressure in a Fluid-Filled Glass with a Side-Hole Tube: Is Pa = Pb = Pc?

In summary, the conversation is about a conceptual question regarding a glass of fluid with a hole and attached tube. The question asks about the pressure at different points along the tube and the response includes the use of Bernoulli's equation and the continuity equation to determine that the pressure at points A, B, and C are equal.
EMP

Homework Statement

It's not a homework exercise, it's more of a conceptual question to help my understanding of the subject. Imagine that you have a glass of height H filled with a fluid with density ro and viscosity eta. There is a hole somewhere on a side of the glass, at a height h relative to the top of the fluid. In this side-hole there is a tube attached, uniform, all cross-sections of this tube of length l have the same area. In the tube, which is the thing I'm concerned about (and where the fluid flows out of the glass), the first cross-section is A, the middle of the tube is B, and the end of the tube is C. Okay, my questions are these:

Is the pressure in point A defined by ro*g*h alone?
What is the pressure in point B?
And in C?

Homework Equations

Bernoulli equation -> Pa + ro*g*h + (1/2)*ro*Va^2 = Pb + ro*g*h + (1/2)*ro*Vb^2
Continuity equation -> Sa*Va = Sb*Vb

The Attempt at a Solution

By using Bernoulli's equation between point A and B, for example, I cancel out the potential energy element in both sides of the equation because the height doesn't change. The kinetic energy component of the fluid is also cancelled, because according to the conservation of mass, and given that the cross-section area doesn't change throughout the tube, Va = Vb. That leaves me with Pa = Pb. Is it true that Pa = Pb = Pc? I don't think so, but I can't prove otherwise.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What are conceptual fluids?

Conceptual fluids refer to fluids that are not physical or tangible, but rather exist as concepts or theoretical constructs. This could include ideas such as fluid dynamics or the properties of different types of fluids.

2. How are conceptual fluids different from physical fluids?

The main difference between conceptual fluids and physical fluids is that conceptual fluids are not tangible or measurable in the same way that physical fluids are. They exist as abstract ideas rather than physical substances.

3. What is the importance of studying conceptual fluids?

Studying conceptual fluids is important because it allows us to better understand the behavior and properties of physical fluids. By studying and manipulating these abstract ideas, we can gain insights and make predictions about real-world fluid systems.

4. Are there different types of conceptual fluids?

Yes, there are various types of conceptual fluids depending on the specific area of study. Some examples include ideal fluids, viscous fluids, and compressible fluids. These different types of conceptual fluids have unique properties and behaviors that are relevant to different fields of science and engineering.

5. How are conceptual fluids used in real-world applications?

Conceptual fluids are used in various real-world applications such as designing airplanes, understanding weather patterns, and studying blood flow in the human body. By applying the principles and theories of conceptual fluids, scientists and engineers can develop solutions and make advancements in many different industries.