Calculating Probabilities and Expectation Values for Hydrogen Atom Wave Function

In summary, the conversation discusses the wave function of a hydrogen atom and the probabilities of finding the system in different energy eigenstates. The expectation value of the energy and operators L2 and Lz are also mentioned. The conversation includes a question about the limits of integration and a hint that eigenfunctions do not require explicit integration.
Shafikae
Consider a hydrogen atom whose wave function is at t=0 is the following superposition of energy eigenfunctions [tex]\psi[/tex]nlm(r)
[tex]\Psi[/tex](r, t=0) = [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{14}}[/tex] *[2[tex]\psi[/tex]100(r) -3[tex]\psi[/tex]200(r) +[tex]\psi[/tex]322(r)

What is the probability of finding the system in the ground state (100? in the state (200)? in the state (322)? In another energy eigenstate?
For this part i found each eigen state and put it into an integral. Should there be limits of integration for r? If so, from where to where? I did the integration for (100) and (200) but for (322) i got something crazy.

What is the expectation value of the energy: of the operator L2, of the operator Lz
I have no clue what to do here.

Physics news on Phys.org
You integrate over all of space. But to give a hint, if you recall (or read up on) the properties of eigenfunctions, you'll realize you don't need to explicitly do the integration here.

I know that if the subscripts are different then the int of
[tex]\psi[/tex]* [tex]\psi[/tex] =0
I got something crazy for
[tex]\psi[/tex]322

but I was able to get the other 2 states. Am I suppose to integrate in terms of r from 0 to [tex]\infty[/tex] ?
Thank you.

Related to Calculating Probabilities and Expectation Values for Hydrogen Atom Wave Function

What is a hydrogen atom wave function?

A hydrogen atom wave function is a mathematical description of the probability of finding an electron in a specific location around the nucleus of a hydrogen atom. It takes into account the energy, position, and spin of the electron.

How is the hydrogen atom wave function represented?

The hydrogen atom wave function is typically represented by the Schrödinger equation, which is a differential equation that describes the behavior of quantum systems. It can also be represented graphically as a three-dimensional probability density map.

What does the hydrogen atom wave function tell us about the electron?

The hydrogen atom wave function tells us about the electron's energy levels and the likelihood of finding it in a particular location around the nucleus. It also provides information about the electron's spin and angular momentum.

What is the significance of the hydrogen atom wave function?

The hydrogen atom wave function is significant because it is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics, which is essential for understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules. It also allows us to predict the behavior of electrons in other types of atoms and molecules.

How is the hydrogen atom wave function used in practical applications?

The hydrogen atom wave function is used in many practical applications, including in the development of new materials, chemical reactions, and electronic devices. It is also used in fields such as nuclear physics and astrophysics to understand the behavior of particles and systems at the atomic level.