Expectation value <p> of the ground state of hydrogen

In summary, the question is how to calculate the expectation value of momentum for an electron in hydrogen's ground state. The attempted solution involves using the momentum operator and integrating it over the wavefunction. However, the final answer obtained is not correct due to an incorrect assumption about the momentum operator in spherical coordinates. Further research is needed to determine the correct approach.
Warda Anis

Homework Statement

How should I calculate the expectation value of momentum of an electron in the ground state in hydrogen atom.

Homework Equations

Untitled.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I am trying to apply the p operator i.e. ##-ihd/dx## over ##\psi##. and integrating it from 0 to infinity. The answer I am getting is ##ih/{2(pi)a^3}##

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 1,720
Physics news on Phys.org
You are actually trying to calculate the expectation value of px. To do that, you must express the ground state wavefunction explicitly as a function of ##x## so that you can take the derivative. You have to do a 3d integral.

Likes jedishrfu
So I did the following to integrate it in 3d:$$ \iiint_V \Psi^* (-i\hbar) \frac {d\Psi} {dr} r^2 sin\theta dr d\theta d\phi$$

The final answer i am getting is ##\frac {i\hbar}{a_b}## which does not look right because it is imaginary and momentum operator is hermitean. I can't figure out what mistake I am doing

You are assuming that in spherical coordinates ##p_r=-i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial r}.## It is not quite that. Do some research on the internet to find out what it is and why.

Likes jedishrfu

1. What is the expectation value of the ground state of hydrogen?

The expectation value of the ground state of hydrogen is the average value of a physical quantity, such as position or energy, that is calculated using the wave function of the ground state. It represents the most probable value that the physical quantity will have when measured.

2. How is the expectation value of the ground state of hydrogen calculated?

The expectation value of the ground state of hydrogen is calculated by taking the integral of the wave function multiplied by the operator corresponding to the physical quantity of interest. This process is known as the expectation value operator.

3. What is the significance of the expectation value of the ground state of hydrogen?

The expectation value of the ground state of hydrogen is significant because it provides information about the most probable value of a physical quantity in the ground state. It also allows for comparisons between different quantum states and can be used to make predictions about the behavior of the hydrogen atom.

4. How does the expectation value of the ground state of hydrogen change with different physical quantities?

The expectation value of the ground state of hydrogen will vary depending on the physical quantity being measured. For example, the expectation value for position will be different from the expectation value for energy. This is because the wave function and the operators used to calculate the expectation value are different for each physical quantity.

5. Can the expectation value of the ground state of hydrogen be used to determine the exact value of a physical quantity?

No, the expectation value of the ground state of hydrogen only provides the most probable value of a physical quantity. It does not give the exact value, as there is always a level of uncertainty in quantum mechanics. However, as more measurements are taken, the expectation value will converge to the exact value.