Calculating Probability for Transferred and Selected Balls

Also, the textbook's solution is incomplete as it stops after the second term in the calculation for P(B). The correct solution for P(B) should be:P(B) = P(A1)P(B|A1) + P(A2)P(B|A2) + P(A3)P(B|A3) =\begin{align}= \dfrac{\binom{10}{2}}{\binom{16}{2}} \cdot \dfrac{\binom{10}{1}}{\binom{22}{1}} +\dfrac{\binom{10}{1} \cdot \binom{6}{1}}{\binom{16}{2}} \cdot \dfrac{\
Thunderbird88
Hello,

Homework Statement

Suppose we have two boxes, numbered 1 and 2.
Box 1 contains 10 white and 6 numbered red balls, while Box 2 contains 8 white and 12 numbered red balls.
We take out 2 balls from Box 1 and are transferred in Box 2. Then, we choose 1 ball from Box 2.

a) Find the probability to take out one red ball from Box 2 and
b) Find the probability that we transferred one red and one white ball from Box 1 in Box 2, given that we took out a red ball from Box 2.

Homework Equations

The relevant relations are the Law of Total Probability:
[tex] P(B) = \sum_{i=1}^n P(A_i)P(B|A_i) [/tex]

and the Bayes Theorem:
[tex] P(A_i|B) = \dfrac{P(A_i)P(B|A_i)}{\sum_{i=1}^n P(A_i)P(B|A_i)} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My solution is:

Suppose we have the following events:

A1: we transferred two white balls from Box 1 to Box 2
A2: we transferred one white and one red ball from Box 1 to Box 2
A3: we transferred two red balls from Box 1 to Box 2
B: we took out one red ball from Box 2

a) Applying the Law of total probability, I have:

[tex] P(B) = P(A1)P(B|A1) + P(A2)P(B|A2) + P(A3)P(B|A3) = [/tex]
[itex]
\begin{align}
= \dfrac{\binom{10}{2}}{\binom{16}{2}} \cdot \dfrac{\binom{12}{1}}{\binom{22}{1}} +
\dfrac{\binom{10}{1} \cdot \binom{6}{1}}{\binom{16}{2}} \cdot \dfrac{\binom{13}{1}}{\binom{22}{1}} + \dfrac{\binom{6}{2}}{\binom{16}{2}} \cdot \dfrac{\binom{14}{1}}{\binom{22}{1}} =\\\\
= \dfrac{45}{120} \cdot \dfrac{12}{22} + \dfrac{10 \cdot 6}{120} \cdot \dfrac{13}{22} + \dfrac{15 \cdot 14}{120 \cdot 22} = 0.5795
\end{align}
[/itex]

b) [tex] P(A2|B) = \dfrac{\text{P(A2)} \cdot \text{P(B|A2)}}{\text{P(B)}} = \dfrac{\dfrac{\binom{10}{1} \cdot \binom{6}{1}}{\binom{16}{2}} \cdot \dfrac{\binom{13}{1}}{\binom{22}{1}}}{0.5795} = 0.5099 [/tex]

4. Textbook's Solution

The textbook confuses me, because it defines the event B as "we take out a white ball from Box 2" and then for question (a), it computes:

[tex] P(B) = P(A1)P(B|A1) + P(A2)P(B|A2) + P(A3)P(B|A3) = [/tex]

[itex]
\begin{align}
= \dfrac{\binom{10}{2}}{\binom{16}{2}} \cdot \dfrac{\binom{10}{1}}{\binom{22}{1}} +
\dfrac{\binom{10}{1} \cdot \binom{6}{1}}{\binom{16}{2}} \cdot \dfrac{\binom{9}{1}}{\binom{22}{1}} + \dfrac{\binom{6}{2}}{\binom{16}{2}} \cdot \dfrac{\binom{8}{1}}{\binom{22}{1}} \text{It stops here.}
\end{align}
[/itex]

Also, for (b), it computes:

[tex] P(A2|B) = \dfrac{\text{P(A2)} \cdot \text{P(B|A2)}}{\text{P(B)}} = \dfrac{\binom{10}{1} \cdot \binom{6}{1}}{\binom{16}{2}} \cdot \dfrac{\binom{9}{1}}{\binom{22}{1}} [/tex]

Shouldn't this be divided by P(B), as well?

Is the textbook wrong or am I missing something?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I agree that this should get divided by P(B).

1. What is a random experiment?

A random experiment is a scientific procedure or test in which the outcomes are based on chance or probability. It involves the manipulation of one or more variables to observe the resulting outcomes.

2. What is the purpose of conducting a random experiment?

The purpose of conducting a random experiment is to gather empirical evidence and test hypotheses. Random experiments help scientists make conclusions about cause and effect relationships between variables.

3. How do you design a random experiment?

To design a random experiment, you must first identify the variables that you want to test and control. Then, you must randomly assign participants or subjects to different groups and manipulate the independent variable. Lastly, you must carefully measure and record the outcomes to draw conclusions.

4. What are the advantages of using random experiments?

Random experiments allow for the control of extraneous variables, making it easier to establish cause and effect relationships. They also allow for the replication of results, increasing the validity and reliability of the findings.

5. What are some common types of random experiments?

Some common types of random experiments include randomized controlled trials, laboratory experiments, and field experiments. These experiments differ in terms of the level of control and the setting in which they are conducted.