Calculating Relative Change in Travel Time Due to Spacetime Perturbation

In summary, the conversation discussed an experiment where a photon is sent from position A to position B in an asymptotically flat spacetime and then reflected back. The travel time of the photon, known as ##\Delta\tau_0##, is measured. The experiment is then repeated in a perturbed spacetime, and the relative increase/reduction in travel time, denoted as ##\Delta\tau/\Delta\tau_0##, is calculated using the perturbed metric, ##g_{\mu\nu}##. The Shapiro time delay was also mentioned as a specific case of this experiment. It was suggested that to calculate the relative travel time in a general spacetime, one would need to find a null geodes
cicero
TL;DR Summary
Knowing the return time of a signal traveling between locations A and B in flat space, what is the change in this return time due to a localised perturbation of flat space between A and B?
Suppose you have the following situation:

We have a spacetime that is asymptotically flat. At some position A which is in the region that is approximately flat, an observer sends out a photon (for simplicity, as I presume that any calculations involved here become easier if we consider a massless object). At some point B which again is in a region where the spacetime can be considered approximately flat, that photon is reflected ("the spaceship turns around"), and returns to A. From previous experiments, the travel time ##\Delta\tau_0## between A and B in Minkowski spacetime is known (to the observer at A, so in proper time for that observer).

Now suppose this experiment is performed but not in Minkowski spacetime but instead a localised perturbation of the flatness of spacetime far enough away from A and B not to affect them meaningfully has appeared. Clearly, this is going to change the travel time ##\Delta\tau## of the photon as observed at A (again, in proper time for A). From the perturbed metric ##g_{\mu\nu}##, how would I calculate ##\Delta\tau/\Delta\tau_0##, so the relative increase/reduction in travel time?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You might want to Google "Shapiro time delay".

Likes Vanadium 50 and vanhees71
PeterDonis said:
You might want to Google "Shapiro time delay".
I am aware of the Shapiro time delay, though in my books I always had it down as the particular case of light traveling around some central mass like a star.

I guess what my question was more targeted at was how to calculate something like this in general (and not just for the Schwarzschild metric, as for the Shapiro time delay).

Generally speaking, I think you would keep the source and mirror at specified coordinates in the asymptotically flat region. Then you find a null geodesic connecting the two for the outbound journey and one connecting them on the return journey (the latter is trivial in a static spacetime but not in a general spacetime). Then you compute the proper time along the emitter's worldline between the emission and return events.

It's easier if you mean a weak perturbation, when spacetime is nearly flat and you can write ##g_{\mu\nu}=\eta_{\mu\nu}+h_{\mu\nu}## and neglect higher order terms in ##h##. But the principle is the same.

1. How is relative change in travel time due to spacetime perturbation calculated?

The relative change in travel time due to spacetime perturbation is calculated by comparing the travel time of a particle in a perturbed spacetime with the travel time of the same particle in a flat spacetime. This can be done using mathematical equations such as the geodesic equation and the metric tensor.

2. What is spacetime perturbation?

Spacetime perturbation refers to the distortion of the fabric of spacetime caused by the presence of massive objects. This distortion can affect the path and speed of particles traveling through the perturbed spacetime.

3. How does spacetime perturbation affect travel time?

Spacetime perturbation can cause a change in the path and speed of particles, which in turn can lead to a change in travel time. This is because the distance between two points in a perturbed spacetime may be longer or shorter than the distance between the same points in a flat spacetime.

4. Can the relative change in travel time due to spacetime perturbation be measured?

Yes, the relative change in travel time due to spacetime perturbation can be measured using various methods, such as time dilation experiments or gravitational lensing observations. These measurements have been confirmed by numerous experiments and observations, providing evidence for the existence of spacetime perturbation.

5. What are some real-world applications of calculating relative change in travel time due to spacetime perturbation?

Calculating relative change in travel time due to spacetime perturbation has important applications in fields such as astrophysics, cosmology, and space travel. It allows scientists to better understand the effects of gravity on the motion of objects in the universe and can also help in the design and navigation of spacecrafts. Additionally, it has practical applications in technologies such as GPS, which relies on precise calculations of travel time to determine location.