No Symmetry Spacetimes/Metrics in Theory of Relativity

In summary: Time and spatial translational symmetriesGR has spacetime translation symmetry, but not time translation symmetry (unless the space is also a constant potential)."Internal symmetries" (like gauge invariances) would not holdGR has gauge symmetry, but the gauge group is the group of diffeomorphisms.
Suekdccia
TL;DR Summary
In the context of the Theory of Relativity are there any spacetimes or metrics with a complete absence of symmetries?
In the context of the Theory of Relativity are there any spacetimes or metrics with a complete absence of symmetries?

I mean, consider a type of space or metric where no symmetries would hold (at least not exactly, but approximately). A space or metric where the Poincaré invariance (including the Lorentz symmetry), diffeomorphism invariance, CPT symmetry, time and spatial translational symmetries...and even internal symmetries (like gauge invariances) would not hold (again, at least not exactly). Is there anything like this in the context of the Theory of Relativity? Or would this necessarily be "outside" of it?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think then we'd have no regularities and couldn't observe "natural laws". First of all there are physical "global" symmetries, which are treated in Noether's 1st theorem, according to which for any one-parameter symmetry Lie group there's a conserved quantity and if there's a conserved quantity there's a corresponding one-parameter symmetry Lie group. A symmetry is defined as a transformation of the coordinates that leaves the 1st variation of the action invariant.

Second there are also "local gauge symmetries", which occur if the physical situation is described by the theory with more degrees of freedom than determined by the equations of motion, i.e., there are indetermined but unobservable quantities in the the theory. The paradigmatic example is Maxwell's electrodynamics when formulated in terms of the potentials (scalar and vector potential or, in relativistic notation, the four-potential). The potentials are determined only up to an arbitrary gauge transformation, i.e., if ##A_{\mu}## describes a certain physical situation, the same situation is equivalently described also by ##A_{\mu}'=A_{\mu}+\partial_{\mu} \chi##, where ##\chi## is an arbitrary scalar field. Formally this is described by a "local symmetry", i.e., transformations, where the group parameters are arbitrary functions of the spacetime arguments.

GR is also a gauge theory. It makes the global Poincare symmetry of SR local, leading to full diffeomorphism invariance, i.e., the gauge group is GL(4), i.e., all local diffeomorphisms between arbitrary spacetime coordinates. That's in the way the mathematical version of the Einstein equivalence principle: Locally (i.e., small regions of spacetime around any "event") everything looks as in special relativity, i.e., it's described by Minkowski space, and you can, at any spacetime point, introduce a local inertial frame of reference, where the physical laws hold as in SR. The gravitational interaction is in this way reinterpreted as "geometrodynamics", i.e., as a pseudo-Riemannian spacetime manifold. Locally you can always transform the gravitational interactions away by using a free falling local reference frame, and that's what makes inertia and sources of gravitation equivalent and thus described by the energy-momentum-stress tensor of matter and radiation. What cannot be "gauged away" of true gravitational fields are the "tidal forces", being closely related to the curvature of the spacetime manifold.

Likes Ibix
Suekdccia said:
TL;DR Summary: In the context of the Theory of Relativity are there any spacetimes or metrics with a complete absence of symmetries?

I mean, consider a type of space or metric where no symmetries would hold (at least not exactly, but approximately). A space or metric where the Poincaré invariance (including the Lorentz symmetry), diffeomorphism invariance, CPT symmetry, time and spatial translational symmetries...and even internal symmetries (like gauge invariances) would not hold (again, at least not exactly). Is there anything like this in the context of the Theory of Relativity? Or would this necessarily be "outside" of it?
No, there isn't. Diffeomorphism invariance is a property of the field equations. Of course, solutions to them can break these symmetries, like e.g.
planetary orbits as solutions don't possess the spherical symmetry of the underlying "field equation" (Poisson equation) of Newtonian gravity. In GR this means an absence of Killing vectors and this tells you something about the spacetime geometry. But you always have the freedom to choose coordinates/observers as you like; this tells you something about the mathematical structure in which the field equations are formulated (general covariance).

So I'd answer your last question with a "yes".

Interestingly, you can reformulate Newtonian gravity in a general covariant way, but you can't formulate GR in a "less than general covariant way"; at least, afaik.

Likes vanhees71
Suekdccia said:
You need to be clear about what "symmetries" means. In GR, it means Killing vector fields. With that said, the answer is that yes, there are solutions to the Einstein Field Equation that do not have any Killing vector fields.

Suekdccia said:
A space or metric where the Poincaré invariance (including the Lorentz symmetry), diffeomorphism invariance
GR does not include any such cases; GR as a theory is built on the assumption that spacetime is locally Lorentz invariant and that solutions which are diffeomorphic to each other are physically equivalent.

Suekdccia said:
CPT symmetry
GR says nothing about this. You have to look at quantum field theory.

Suekdccia said:
time and spatial translational symmetries
These are Killing vector fields in spacetimes that have them, but not all spacetimes do.

Suekdccia said:
and even internal symmetries (like gauge invariances)
Like CPT symmetry, GR says nothing about these (except to the extent that diffeomorphism invariance can be considered a kind of gauge invariance). You have to look at quantum field theory.

Likes PeroK
vanhees71 said:
I think then we'd have no regularities and couldn't observe "natural laws".
That depends on what kind of "symmetry" you say is absent. It's perfectly possible to have a spacetime with no Killing vector fields that still has "natural laws"--it's still a solution of the Einstein Field Equation and still has local Lorentz invariance and diffeomorphism invariance, and it's perfectly possible to have quantum fields in such a spacetime that are CPT symmetric and have gauge invariance.

Likes vanhees71
Exactly that's my argument. If you'd have no general symmetries at all, there'd be no clue, which mathematical structures should be used to describe the phenomena, starting from the space-time structure, and there's be also no regularities which could serve as "natural laws". The local Poincare invariance determines the description of the GR spacetime as a pseudo-Riemannian manifold (or rather an Einstein-Cartan manifold to enable the presence of fields with spin). Of course, you can have a completely unsymmetric distribution of energy, momentum, and stress, leading to a solution of the Einstein equations, which has no symmetries/Killing vectors.

vanhees71 said:
If you'd have no general symmetries at all, there'd be no clue, which mathematical structures should be used to describe the phenomena, starting from the space-time structure, and there's be also no regularities which could serve as "natural laws".
This seems like a tautology: if we had no natural laws, we'd have no natural laws.

Likes vanhees71
Indeed. That's why without any symmetries there'd be no physics or other natural sciences.

1. What is a "No Symmetry Spacetime" in the Theory of Relativity?

A "No Symmetry Spacetime" refers to a spacetime that does not possess any symmetries, such as rotational or translational symmetries. In other words, the properties of the spacetime do not remain the same when it is rotated or shifted in space. This concept is important in the Theory of Relativity as it helps to describe the behavior of objects in a non-uniform gravitational field.

2. How is "No Symmetry Spacetime" related to the Theory of Relativity?

"No Symmetry Spacetimes" play a crucial role in the Theory of Relativity as they allow for the description of non-uniform gravitational fields, which is a key aspect of Einstein's theory. Without considering spacetimes with no symmetry, the theory would not be able to accurately explain the effects of gravity on objects with mass.

3. What are some examples of "No Symmetry Spacetimes"?

One example of a "No Symmetry Spacetime" is the Kerr spacetime, which describes the spacetime around a rotating black hole. Another example is the Friedmann-Lemaitre-Robertson-Walker (FLRW) spacetime, which describes the expanding universe. Both of these spacetimes have no symmetries and are important in understanding the behavior of objects in these extreme environments.

4. How do scientists study "No Symmetry Spacetimes" in the Theory of Relativity?

Scientists use mathematical tools, such as tensor calculus and differential geometry, to study "No Symmetry Spacetimes" in the Theory of Relativity. These tools allow them to describe the properties of the spacetime and make predictions about the behavior of objects within it. They also use computer simulations and observations from astronomical objects to test and validate their theories.

5. What are the implications of "No Symmetry Spacetimes" in the Theory of Relativity?

The presence of "No Symmetry Spacetimes" in the Theory of Relativity has significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It allows us to better describe and predict the behavior of objects in extreme environments, such as black holes and the expanding universe. It also helps to reconcile the laws of gravity with the principles of relativity, providing a more complete understanding of the physical world.