Calculating Resultant Force and Energy in Physics Homework Problems

In summary, the first problem deals with a rocket with a weight of 1000N being propelled upwards by a thrust of 1800N and experiencing an air resistance of 500N. The resultant force on the rocket is 2300N. The second problem involves a bungee jumper of mass 60kg jumping from a bridge with an elastic rope that becomes taut after falling 10m. When the jumper has fallen another 10m and is traveling at 15m/s, the amount of energy stored in the rope can be calculated using the equation E=mgh, where g=10m/s^2 and air resistance is ignored.
zeldaspurpose

Homework Statement

A rocket of force 1000N is propelled upwards by a thrust of 1800N. The air resistance is 500N.

a) Work out the resultant force on the rocket.

A bungee jumper of mass 60kg jumps from a bridge tied to an elastic rope which becomes taut after he falls 10m. Consider the jumper when he has fallen another 10m and is traveling at 15 m/s.

A) Work out how much energy is stored in the rope. Take g= 10 m/s squared and ignore air resistance.

Homework Equations

E = mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

1)a)
1000N+1800N - 500N = 2300N

2)a)
60*10*10 = 6000J

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
zeldaspurpose said:
It says "a rocket of 1000N". What do you think that means?

Edit: please use a separate thread per problem.

I meant force! And sorry, I'll do that next time.

zeldaspurpose said:
I meant force! And sorry, I'll do that next time.
No, surely the 1800N is the thrust. Isn't the 1000N the weight?

I checked the question in my book and yes, it is weight. I am really sorry.

zeldaspurpose said:
I checked the question in my book and yes, it is weight. I am really sorry.
So how does that change your equation?

The equation e= mgh is for the second question. The answer to the first question is 300N, but I am not understanding why.

zeldaspurpose said:
The equation e= mgh is for the second question. The answer to the first question is 300N, but I am not understanding why.
I mean this equation
zeldaspurpose said:
1)a)

I looked into it and I understood now, thanks for the help.

For the second one if I am not mistaken would one not have to use gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy to find the amount of energy that was transferred to the rope?

What is the formula for calculating resultant force?

The formula for calculating resultant force is F = ma, where F is the resultant force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration.

How do I calculate the net force?

To calculate the net force, you need to add all of the individual forces acting on an object. If the forces are acting in the same direction, you simply add them together. If the forces are acting in opposite directions, you subtract the smaller force from the larger one.

What is the difference between resultant force and net force?

Resultant force and net force are often used interchangeably, but there is a slight difference. Net force refers to the total sum of all the forces acting on an object, while resultant force refers to the single force that is equivalent to all the forces acting on an object.

How do I calculate the kinetic energy of an object?

The formula for calculating kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 mv^2, where KE is the kinetic energy, m is the mass of the object, and v is the velocity of the object.

What is the relationship between work and energy?

The relationship between work and energy is that work is the transfer of energy from one form to another. Work is done when a force is applied to an object and causes it to move. This work results in a change in the object's energy, either by increasing or decreasing it.