Calculating Ricci tensor in AdS space

In summary, the AdS metric in D+1 dimensions can be represented as ds^{2}=\frac{L^{2}}{z^{2}}\left(dz^{2}+\eta_{\mu\nu}dx^{\mu}dx^{\nu}\right). When trying to calculate the Ricci tensor for this metric in D=3, the Christoffel symbols were found to be \Gamma^{t}_{tz}=\frac{L^{2}}{z^{3}}, \Gamma^{x}_{xz}=\Gamma^{y}_{yz}=\Gamma^{z}_{zz}=-\frac{L^{2}}{z^{3}}. From this, the contributing Riemann tensors were determined
HamOnRye
Consider the AdS metric in [tex]D+1[/tex] dimensions
[tex]ds^{2}=\frac{L^{2}}{z^{2}}\left(dz^{2}+\eta_{\mu\nu}dx^{\mu}dx^{\nu}\right)[/tex]
I wanted to calculate the Ricci tensor for this metric for D=3. ([tex]\eta_{\mu\nu} [/tex] is the Minkowski metric in D dimensions)
I have found the following Christoffel symbols
[tex]\Gamma^{t}_{tz}=\frac{L^{2}}{z^{3}}, \Gamma^{x}_{xz}=\Gamma^{y}_{yz}=\Gamma^{z}_{zz}=-\frac{L^{2}}{z^{3}}[/tex]
From this point I wanted to determine the Riemann tensor in order to finally determine the Ricci tensor.
What I've got the following contributing Riemann tensors
[tex]R^{x}_{zxz}, R^{y}_{zyz}, R^{t}_{ztz}[/tex]
I also noticed that if I have a z-coordinate in the upper index for the Riemann tensor it will be zero no matter what I choose for the lower indices.
My problem is as follows, based on symmetry, the above Riemann tensors should also be zero but I can't see how. Did I make a mistake with my Christoffel symbols or anywhere else?
Any help is appreciated!

Tim

Physics news on Phys.org
Is ##\eta_{\mu\mu} = (1,-1,-1)## or ##\eta_{\mu\mu} = (-1,1,1)##? I would think this would matter.

The signature is given by ##\eta_{\mu\mu} = (-1,1,1)##
Thanks for responding!

Okay, that makes sense. I'm just going to plug and grind with maxima. So if I write things out the metric is,

##\left(\begin{array}[cccc] --f(z) & 0 & 0 & 0 \cr
0 & f(z) & 0 & 0 \cr
0 & 0 & f(z) & 0 \cr
0 & 0 & 0 & f(z) \end{array}\right)##

where ##f(z) = L^2/z^2##. Using the ctensor package in maxima I get 12 non-zero Riemann tensor component all ##\pm 1/z^2##. The constant ##L## seems to drop out.

Paul Colby said:
Okay, that makes sense. I'm just going to plug and grind with maxima. So if I write things out the metric is,

##\left(\begin{array}[cccc] --f(z) & 0 & 0 & 0 \cr
0 & f(z) & 0 & 0 \cr
0 & 0 & f(z) & 0 \cr
0 & 0 & 0 & f(z) \end{array}\right)##

where ##f(z) = L^2/z^2##. Using the ctensor package in maxima I get 12 non-zero Riemann tensor component all ##\pm 1/z^2##. The constant ##L## seems to drop out.

Thanks! I made some mistakes with the ##L^{2}## terms.
But I think my main problem, or misunderstanding, still remains.
For the Riemann tensor, if we have a ##z## in the upper index there will be no contribution. But the Riemann tensor I found have a ##z## in the lower indices. But via symmetry we can place this lower index in the upper index, so any contribution with a ##z## in the lower index should also be zero.
I would like to thank you for the help so far and I hope you, or some one else, can point out the flaw in my reasoning/

Tim

The symmetries I'm aware of are

##R_{\alpha\beta\mu\nu} = -R_{\beta\alpha\mu\nu} = R_{\mu\nu\alpha\beta}##​

plus whatever you can get by applying these permutations. So, ##R_{\alpha\alpha\mu\nu} = 0## and so on.

Paul Colby said:
The symmetries I'm aware of are

##R_{\alpha\beta\mu\nu} = -R_{\beta\alpha\mu\nu} = R_{\mu\nu\alpha\beta}##​

plus whatever you can get by applying these permutations. So, ##R_{\alpha\alpha\mu\nu} = 0## and so on.
I'll check the permutations. Thank you for the quick response and the patientce.

Tim

What is AdS space?

AdS space, short for Anti-de Sitter space, is a mathematical model of spacetime that is used in theoretical physics and cosmology. It is a type of curved space that has a constant negative curvature, and is believed to be a possible description of the universe in certain theories.

What is the Ricci tensor?

The Ricci tensor is a mathematical object that is used to describe the curvature of a space. It is defined in terms of the Riemann curvature tensor, and can be thought of as a way to measure how much spacetime is curved at a particular point. In the context of AdS space, the Ricci tensor is used to calculate the overall curvature of the space.

How is the Ricci tensor calculated in AdS space?

The Ricci tensor can be calculated in AdS space using a mathematical formula that involves the metric tensor, which describes the geometry of the space, and its derivatives. The calculation can be quite complex, but it ultimately yields a set of numbers that describe the curvature of the space at different points.

Why is the calculation of the Ricci tensor important in AdS space?

The Ricci tensor is important in AdS space because it is a key component in determining the overall curvature of the space. This curvature has important implications for physical phenomena that occur in AdS space, such as the behavior of particles and fields. By calculating the Ricci tensor, scientists can gain a better understanding of the properties of AdS space and its potential role in the universe.

What are some applications of calculating the Ricci tensor in AdS space?

The calculation of the Ricci tensor in AdS space has many applications in theoretical physics and cosmology. For example, it is used in studying the behavior of black holes, understanding the properties of quantum gravity, and exploring the holographic principle. It also has implications for string theory and other areas of research where AdS space is considered as a possible model for the universe.