Computing Ricci Tensor Coefficients w/ Tetrad Formalism

In summary: So if you want to go from a holonomic basis to a (pseudo)-orthonormal one, you need to symmetrize in the lower indices.I'm not sure if you need the covariant derivative in the non-coordinate basis to compute thisIn summary, the book "Differentiable manifolds: A Theoretical Physics Approach" by Castillo discusses the calculation of the Ricci tensor coefficients for a metric on page 170. The starting point for this method is the equation given by $$d\theta^i = \Gamma^i_{[jk]} \theta^j \wedge \theta^k$$ where ##\theta^i## are 1-forms. The book then proceeds to calculate the
snypehype46
TL;DR Summary
Computing Ricci tensor coefficients using the tetrad formalism
I'm reading "Differentiable manifolds: A Theoretical Physics Approach" by Castillo and on page 170 of the book a calculation of the Ricci tensor coefficients for a metric is illustrated. In the book the starting point for this method is the equation given by:

$$d\theta^i = \Gamma^i_{[jk]} \theta^j \wedge \theta^k$$

where ##\theta^i## are 1-forms.

Then the book proceeds to calculate the coefficients for the following metric:
1621383077968.png

What I don't quite understand is why is the coefficient for ##\Gamma_{2[12]}## is given by ##\frac{\sqrt{1-kr^2}}{2r}##. From the second equation I would have guessed the coefficient is actually ##\frac{\sqrt{1-kr^2}}{r}##, so why do we need to divide by 2? From the second equation I would read $$d\theta^2 = \Gamma_{[12]}^2 \theta^1 \wedge \theta^2$$.

Also I'm not sure how the book actually computed the term for ##\Gamma^3_{[13]}##.

Likes vanhees71
Physics news on Phys.org
There is summation in the formula

##d\theta^2 = \Gamma^2_{[jk]} \theta^j \wedge \theta^k=\cdots+\Gamma^2_{[12]} \theta^1 \wedge \theta^2+\Gamma^2_{[21]} \theta^2 \wedge \theta^1+\cdots=\cdots+2\Gamma^2_{[12]} \theta^1 \wedge \theta^2+\cdots##

Likes vanhees71
@martinbn what is the meaning of the dots?

snypehype46 said:
@martinbn what is the meaning of the dots?
Just the other terms with indeces not 1 and 2.

Ok I see, so for the term ##\Gamma^3_{[13]}##, we used the last equation. My point of confusion is why we don't care about the factor involving ##\theta^2 \wedge \theta^3##

I'm going to be explicit!

$$d\theta^i = \Gamma^i_{jk} \theta^j \wedge \theta^K$$
$$d\theta^3 = \Gamma^3_{11} \theta^1 \wedge \theta^1 + \Gamma^3_{12} \theta^1 \wedge \theta^2 + \Gamma^3_{13} \theta^1 \wedge \theta^3$$ $$+ \Gamma^3_{21} \theta^2 \wedge \theta^1 + \Gamma^3_{22} \theta^2 \wedge \theta^2 + \Gamma^3_{23} \theta^2 \wedge \theta^3$$ $$ + \Gamma^3_{31} \theta^3 \wedge \theta^1 + \Gamma^3_{32} \theta^3 \wedge \theta^2 + \Gamma^3_{33} \theta^3 \wedge \theta^3$$

Reducing this down (which property of exterior derivatives did i use to reduce to this point?), we get:
$$d\theta^3 =\Gamma^3_{12} \theta^1 \wedge \theta^2 + \Gamma^3_{13} \theta^1 \wedge \theta^3$$ $$+ \Gamma^3_{21} \theta^2 \wedge \theta^1+ \Gamma^3_{23} \theta^2 \wedge \theta^3$$ $$ + \Gamma^3_{31} \theta^3 \wedge \theta^1 + \Gamma^3_{32} \theta^3 \wedge \theta^2$$

Now, we know that ##d\theta^3 = \frac{\sqrt{1-kr^2}}{r} \theta^1 \wedge \theta^3 + \frac{\cot \theta}{r} \theta^2 \wedge \theta^3##

Match the same with the same. Which terms involve ##\theta^1 \wedge \theta^3##? You're not ignoring the ##\theta^2 \wedge \theta^3## terms, it's just that ##\Gamma^3_{13}## doesn't have any ##\theta^2 \wedge \theta^3## terms!

Also, some food for thought, what can you conclude about ##\Gamma^3_{12}, \Gamma^3_{21}## from this equation?

A quickie: factors of 2 and antisymmetrization [...] , what's the book's convention? Weight one (anti)symmetrization?

I have never worked in a non-coordinate basis before, so I'm having trouble with the basic equation:

##d \Theta^i = \Gamma^i_{|jk|} \Theta^j \wedge \Theta^k##

Is ##\Gamma^i_{jk}## defined for a non-coordinate basis via:

##\nabla_{e_i} e_j = \Gamma^k_{ij} e_k##

If so, then it seems to me that if ##e_\mu## is a coordinate basis, with corresponding connection ##\Gamma^\lambda_{\mu \nu}##, and ##e_i## is some other basis (coordinate or not), then the relationship between the ##\Gamma##s is given by:

##\Gamma^k_{ij} = \Lambda^\nu_i \Lambda^k_\mu \partial_\nu \Lambda^\mu_j + \Lambda^k_\mu \Lambda^\nu_i \Lambda^\lambda_j \Gamma^\mu_{\nu \lambda}##

where ##\Lambda^\mu_i## is the coordinate transformation matrix, and ##\Lambda^i_\mu## is its inverse.

On the other hand, in the covector basis,
##e^k = \Lambda^k_\mu e^\mu = \Lambda^k_\mu d x^\mu##

Taking exterior derivatives of both sides gives:

##d e^k = d(\Lambda^k_\mu d x^\mu) = (\partial_\nu \Lambda^k_\mu) d x^\nu \wedge dx^\mu## (because ##d d x^\mu = 0##)

Re-expressing in terms of the noncovariant basis ##e^i## gives:

##d e^k = \Lambda^\nu_i \Lambda^\mu_j (\partial_\nu \Lambda^k_\mu) e^i \wedge e^j##

So that's not the same thing as ##d e^k = \Gamma^k_{|ij|} e^i \wedge e^j##. Is it?

In holonomic bases ("coordinate bases") in a space without torsion (as in standard GR) the connection coefficients are the Christoffel symbols, which are symmetric in the lower components.

That's different for (pseudo)-orthonormal bases of course.

1. What is the tetrad formalism and how is it used in computing Ricci tensor coefficients?

The tetrad formalism is a mathematical framework used in general relativity to describe the geometry of spacetime. It involves the use of four orthonormal vectors, known as a tetrad, to represent the directions of space and time at each point in spacetime. In computing Ricci tensor coefficients, the tetrad formalism is used to transform the components of the metric tensor into a local coordinate system, making it easier to calculate the Ricci tensor.

2. Why is the tetrad formalism preferred over other methods for computing Ricci tensor coefficients?

The tetrad formalism is preferred because it simplifies the calculation of Ricci tensor coefficients by breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. It also allows for a more intuitive understanding of the geometric properties of spacetime, making it easier to interpret the results.

3. What are the main steps involved in using the tetrad formalism to compute Ricci tensor coefficients?

The main steps involved in using the tetrad formalism to compute Ricci tensor coefficients are: (1) choosing an appropriate tetrad, (2) transforming the metric tensor components into the tetrad basis, (3) calculating the Christoffel symbols using the transformed metric, (4) using the Christoffel symbols to calculate the Ricci tensor components, and (5) transforming the Ricci tensor components back into the original coordinate system.

4. How does the tetrad formalism account for the curvature of spacetime in computing Ricci tensor coefficients?

The tetrad formalism takes into account the curvature of spacetime by using the orthonormal basis vectors of the tetrad to represent the directions of space and time at each point. This allows for a more accurate and intuitive understanding of the geometry of spacetime, which is essential in computing Ricci tensor coefficients.

5. What are some practical applications of computing Ricci tensor coefficients using the tetrad formalism?

The tetrad formalism is used in various fields, such as cosmology and astrophysics, to study the dynamics of spacetime and understand the behavior of matter and energy in the universe. It is also used in the development of gravitational theories and in the analysis of gravitational waves. Additionally, the tetrad formalism is essential in the calculation of the Einstein field equations, which describe the relationship between the curvature of spacetime and the distribution of matter and energy.