Calculating Rollercoaster Speed and Spring Constant

In summary, the roller coaster must have a spring with a potential energy of 1/2mv^2 to propel the car up the second hill with a minimum speed of 18.4 m/s.
fergust
Hello!

I was hoping somebody could help me with these two problems:

A roller-coaster has a first hill 75.2 meters tall. Immediately after this hill, the roller coaster skims along the ground, then ascends to a second hill 47.8 m tall. If the load limit is 1067.9 kg, how fast is it going at the top of the second hill? As always, no units and 2 decimal places.

The owners of the amusement park have now decided that having a large first hill is too old-fashioned; they now want to use a spring to start the roller coaster. If the starting gate limits the spring to 3.3 meters of compression, and the next hill is now 44.4 meters, what must the spring constant be to lift a load limit of 2280.9 kg to the top with a minimum speed of 18.4? As always, no units and 2 decimal places.

Thank you so much in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

How would you think to go about the problems?

For the first problem, I know how to find the potential energy at either of the hills, but I'm unsure of how exactly to use this knowledge to find velocity. Or, could I find the velocity at the bottom of the first hill, and then find out how much it decelerates as it climbs the second?

fergust said:
For the first problem, I know how to find the potential energy at either of the hills, but I'm unsure of how exactly to use this knowledge to find velocity. Or, could I find the velocity at the bottom of the first hill, and then find out how much it decelerates as it climbs the second?

Isn't there a conservation of energy?

PE becomes KE?

With no friction won't the KE at any point be just the change from the initial PE?

LowlyPion said:
Isn't there a conservation of energy?

PE becomes KE?

Yes! So I can find the potential energy at the top of the hill, set that equal to 1/2mv^2, and just solve for v? How do I factor the first hill into that, though?

fergust said:
Yes! So I can find the potential energy at the top of the hill, set that equal to 1/2mv^2, and just solve for v? How do I factor the first hill into that, though?

The speed at the top of the second hill is still just the change in PE to that point from the top of the first.

The load limit then is the max mass of the car and riders?

The second question is asking you to figure out how much potential energy must be in the spring to propel the car up a 44m hill and still have the KE determined by the max load and the min velocity given.

Okay, I think I have them both now. Thank you so much!

Related to Calculating Rollercoaster Speed and Spring Constant

1. What is a "rollercoaster problem" in the context of science?

A "rollercoaster problem" refers to a type of physics problem that involves analyzing the motion of a rollercoaster. This can include determining the forces acting on the rollercoaster, calculating its speed and acceleration, and predicting its path.

2. How do you solve a rollercoaster problem?

To solve a rollercoaster problem, you first need to identify the known and unknown variables, such as the mass of the rollercoaster, its initial velocity, and the height of the track. Then, you can use equations of motion and principles of physics, such as conservation of energy and Newton's laws, to calculate the unknowns.

3. What are some common challenges when solving rollercoaster problems?

One common challenge when solving rollercoaster problems is dealing with the complexity of the system. Rollercoasters involve many variables, such as the shape and angle of the track, the friction between the wheels and the track, and air resistance. Another challenge is understanding and applying the correct equations and principles to the specific scenario.

4. How can understanding rollercoaster problems be useful in the real world?

Understanding rollercoaster problems can be useful in various fields such as engineering, amusement park design, and even transportation. Rollercoaster problems involve concepts such as energy, forces, and motion, which are essential in designing safe and efficient structures and vehicles.

5. Are there any real-life examples of rollercoaster problems?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of rollercoaster problems. For instance, engineers and designers use rollercoaster problems to determine the optimal height, speed, and track design for amusement park rides. Rollercoaster problems also apply to other forms of transportation, such as roller coasters used in mining operations to transport materials.