Calculating Rotational Speed of Car Tyres: How Many Spins in a Given Distance?

In summary, The participants are discussing how to calculate the rotational speed of a car tire based on its diameter and the distance traveled. They suggest finding the circumference of the tire and dividing the distance traveled in one second by the circumference to determine the number of revolutions per second. The length of the car is not relevant. They also mention that the velocity of the tire where it meets the road must be zero to avoid skidding.
gmxplode
Rotational Speed of Car tyre?

hey guys i was trying to figure out this rotational speed of car tyre?...i have with me the diameter of the car tyre and the distance which it is traveling and the length of the car...so can anyone help? i need to find out how much times will the tyre spin and at what speed in that traveled distance?

Physics news on Phys.org

Just work out the circumference of the tyre. Then divide the distance traveled by the car in one second by the circumference. That will be the number of revs per second.
The length of the car is not relevant (you could go on just one wheel, if you could stay upright.).

sophiecentaur said:
Just work out the circumference of the tyre. Then divide the distance traveled by the car in one second by the circumference. That will be the number of revs per second.
The length of the car is not relevant (you could go on just one wheel, if you could stay upright.).

ok thanks for the information...so if the car is traveling 34 feet and the diameter is 28 inches then the result I am getting is 4.64 revolution which is equivalent to 1670 Degrees..is it correct?...

gmxplode said:
ok thanks for the information...so if the car is traveling 34 feet and the diameter is 28 inches then the result I am getting is 4.64 revolution which is equivalent to 1670 Degrees..is it correct?...

That looks good to me.

AlephZero said:
That looks good to me.

this 34 feet is the total distance traveled and not distance traveled in one second so is it still correct?

OMG, I'm laying in bed and the man wants me to do feet and inches.
But you can do total distance traveled in any time interval. If each rotation is 360 then the angular speed is revs per second / hour / week times 360.
G'night. :-)

sophiecentaur said:
OMG, I'm laying in bed and the man wants me to do feet and inches.
But you can do total distance traveled in any time interval. If each rotation is 360 then the angular speed is revs per second / hour / week times 360.
G'night. :-)
Ok thanks got ya...

Of course, the velocity that the tire is moving where it meets the road must be zero, or you'll be skidding :)

Related to Calculating Rotational Speed of Car Tyres: How Many Spins in a Given Distance?

What is rotational speed?

Rotational speed refers to the number of rotations or revolutions a car tyre makes in a given amount of time. It is typically measured in rotations per minute (RPM).

What factors affect the rotational speed of a car tyre?

The rotational speed of a car tyre can be affected by several factors, including the diameter of the tyre, the size of the wheel it is mounted on, the speed of the car, and the condition of the tyre itself.

How is rotational speed calculated?

The rotational speed of a car tyre can be calculated by dividing the speed of the car (in miles per hour) by the circumference of the tyre (in feet) and then multiplying by a factor of 60 to convert to rotations per minute.

Why is rotational speed important?

Rotational speed is important because it affects several aspects of a car's performance, such as acceleration, braking, and fuel efficiency. It also plays a role in determining the lifespan of a car tyre.

How can rotational speed be measured?

Rotational speed can be measured using a tachometer, which is a device that measures the speed of rotation. It can also be calculated using the car's speedometer and the tyre's circumference.