Calculating Serial Baud Rate from Measured Value

In summary, the problem is to calculate the baud rate of a serial transmission using the length of time required to send the ASCII character 'Z' over a serial port. The serial port settings are 9600 baud with a start and stop bit, no parity, and a data size of 8 bits. There is no given equation, but the measured time to send the character was 937.5 microseconds. By dividing this time by the 10 bits sent, we can determine the time required to send a single bit. To calculate the bit rate, we take the inverse of the time per bit, which is 93.75 microseconds. Therefore, the bit rate is 1/93.75 microseconds, or 0.9
sparkie

Homework Statement

The problem is to calculate the baud rate of a serial transmission by measuring the length of time required to send the ASCII character 'Z' over a serial port. The serial port settings are 9600 baud with a start and stop bit, no parity and a data size of 8 bits.

Homework Equations

We were given no equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

My measured time to send the 8 bit ASCII character 'Z' was 937.5 microseconds. This is 9.375 x 10^-4 seconds. I took this time, and divided it by the 10 bits we sent over the port to get the amount of time required to send a single bit. Now I'm not really sure how I should get the number of its per second. I multiplied by 9600 bits to get 0.9, which is the length of time required to send 9600 bits at the rate of one bit every 93.75 microseconds, but I'm not sure where to go from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
For what it's worth, assuming a continuous stream of bits, the "time per bit" and "bit rate" are inverses of each other.
[tex] \mathrm{bit \ rate \ (bits/second)} = \frac{1}{ \mathrm{time \ per \ bit \ (seconds/bit)}} [/tex]

Related to Calculating Serial Baud Rate from Measured Value

1. How do you calculate the serial baud rate from a measured value?

To calculate the serial baud rate, you first need to know the number of bits per second (bps) of the serial data being transmitted. This can be determined by measuring the duration of one bit in seconds. Once you have the duration of one bit, you can use the formula baud rate = 1 / bit duration to calculate the baud rate in bits per second.

2. What is the formula for calculating serial baud rate?

The formula for calculating serial baud rate is baud rate = 1 / bit duration, where bit duration is the time it takes to transmit one bit in seconds.

3. Can the baud rate be different from the bits per second (bps) of the serial data being transmitted?

Yes, the baud rate and the bits per second (bps) of the serial data being transmitted can be different. The baud rate refers to the number of symbols or signal changes per second, while the bits per second (bps) refers to the number of data bits transmitted per second. In some cases, the baud rate may be the same as the bits per second, but in others, the baud rate may be higher or lower depending on the encoding scheme used.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of calculating serial baud rate from a measured value?

The accuracy of calculating serial baud rate from a measured value can be affected by several factors, including noise or interference in the transmission, variations in the timing of the signal, and errors in measuring the duration of a bit. Additionally, if the encoding scheme is complex or uses multiple signal changes per bit, the accuracy of the baud rate calculation may be reduced.

5. Is it necessary to measure the duration of one bit to calculate the serial baud rate?

Yes, it is necessary to measure the duration of one bit to accurately calculate the serial baud rate. Without this measurement, the baud rate cannot be accurately determined. However, for some simple encoding schemes, the duration of one bit may be a known value and does not need to be measured. In these cases, the baud rate can be calculated using the known bit duration.