How to calculate gating time from the rate of the random coincidence?

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment related to quantum erasure and the use of a CSV file to plot correlation measurements. The speaker is unsure of how to proceed with analyzing the gating time and the purpose of this step in the lab report. They ask for help from others in the group and provide information about the probe and system channels.
physicsclaus
Homework Statement
Calculate gating time from the rate of the random coincidences.
Relevant Equations
I sincerely do not know what equation I should, that's why I want to have solution in this thread.
Hello everyone,

I am now doing experiment related to quantum erasure. After plotting the correlation measurement with and without blocking one of the polarization from the SPDC source (say, V polarization), I do not know how to work further on the gating time from the rate of the random coincidence, and even I do not know why I need to do required by the lab report. I hope some of the talents here can provide me with some insights to complete this part.

Please find the attached .csv file.

Channel 2 and channel 4 are the probe and the system. Photons pass through them, and when two photons come from each port and meet together then we will have coincidence rate.

Please comment and let me know if there is anything I need to clarify more.

Thanks a lot!

Attachments

• data_12.csv
    3.5 KB · Views: 74
  • data_13.csv
    3.3 KB · Views: 68
Physics news on Phys.org

Calculating gating time from the rate of random coincidence involves understanding the concept of coincidence window and its relation to the rate of random coincidence. The coincidence window is the time interval during which the detection of two photons is considered a coincidence.

To calculate the gating time, you can use the formula: Gating time = 1/ (Rate of random coincidence * Coincidence window). The rate of random coincidence can be obtained by measuring the coincidence rate when the two channels are not correlated, i.e. when the polarization is not blocked.

In your experiment, channel 2 and channel 4 are the probe and the system, respectively. To obtain the rate of random coincidence, you can measure the coincidence rate when the polarization is not blocked in channel 2 and channel 4. This will give you the rate of random coincidence for your setup.

Once you have the rate of random coincidence, you can use the above formula to calculate the gating time. This gating time is important as it determines the time window in which you can detect correlated photons and measure their polarization.

I hope this helps in understanding how to calculate the gating time from the rate of random coincidence in your experiment. If you have any further questions or need more clarification, please do not hesitate to ask. Good luck with your experiment!

1. How do I calculate gating time from the rate of random coincidence?

To calculate gating time from the rate of random coincidence, you will need to use the formula: Gating Time = 1/Random Coincidence Rate. This means that the gating time is equal to the reciprocal of the rate of random coincidence. For example, if the random coincidence rate is 0.5 per second, then the gating time would be 2 seconds.

2. What is the rate of random coincidence?

The rate of random coincidence refers to the number of random coincidences that occur in a given time period. In scientific experiments, this is often used to measure the background noise or interference in a system. It is typically expressed as the number of random coincidences per unit of time, such as per second or per minute.

3. How is gating time related to random coincidence rate?

Gating time and random coincidence rate are inversely related, meaning that as one increases, the other decreases. This is because gating time is the reciprocal of the random coincidence rate. As the rate of random coincidence increases, the gating time decreases and vice versa.

4. Can I use the formula for calculating gating time in all situations?

The formula for calculating gating time from the rate of random coincidence is generally applicable in most situations. However, it is important to note that this formula assumes a constant rate of random coincidence. If the rate is not constant, then the formula may not accurately reflect the gating time.

5. How can I reduce the random coincidence rate in my experiments?

There are several ways to reduce the rate of random coincidence in experiments. One way is to increase the gating time, which allows for a longer period of time between data collection points and reduces the likelihood of random coincidences. Additionally, using shielding or filtering techniques can help to reduce external sources of interference that may contribute to random coincidences.