Calculating Ship Acceleration with Gauss Gun Propulsion

In summary, the conversation discusses using a source of power in ideal gravity-free and friction-free space to propel a spaceship using continuous electric propulsion. Various questions are asked about how to calculate the ship's acceleration, the importance of the projectile's mass and velocity, and how the projectile appears and behaves in different frames. The conservation of four-momentum and the fact that both energy and momentum are conserved are important factors in determining the acceleration and velocity of the projectile. The conversation also touches on the concept of Lorentz transformations and the effects of relativity at near-light speeds.
BitWiz
Gold Member
Hi,

Say I have a spaceship in ideal gravity-free, friction-free space. I have a source of power capable of producing a maximum of E joules per second, and I want to use some form of continuous electric propulsion, such as a Gauss gun or ion thruster, to get around.

I have these questions:

1) From the spaceship's frame, how do I calculate the ship's acceleration from E, given the ship's Lorentz-adjusted mass, the mass of projectiles fired per second, and any other required parameters? An equation would be very helpful, along with an example using simple values such as 1 second, 1 kg, 1 meter, etc.

2) Does the projectile's actual rest mass and final velocity really matter in calculating the reactive force F' that accelerates the ship? If the gluons will put up with it, can I theoretically accelerate a single proton in a Guass gun fast enough to produce an F' that accelerates a (very sturdy) ship to any Lorentz gamma in one ship second? In other words, given perfect engineering, can I directly translate any power to acceleration without regard to the speed-of-light c in the Gauss gun, simply because the projectile's effective mass will always adjust to balance momentum, relative to the ship?

3) As the Gauss field "pushes" the projectile, does the field itself change in a Lorentzian and/or Doppler way from either the projectile's frame or the ship's frame, that reduces the ability to continue to apply force to the projectile? For instance, if the projectile is traveling too fast to see changes in the field propagate from the source, does it still see the field at all?

4) How does the projectile appear to me (in the ship)? Does it seem to slow down as relativistic effects become conspicuous? If I manage to accelerate it to very close to c, does it ever leave the gun?

5) Finally, if I accelerate a proton to c minus one-zillionth (or so), does the proton become a black hole from my frame, ie does the Schwartzschild radius expand to encompass the boundary of the particle? Would it know it? How about for larger masses? To me, would the black hole appear virtually stationary?

Thanks very much.

Bit

Physics news on Phys.org
There is too much to answer in depth, so I will answer briefly and then you can ask more detailed and specific questions.

BitWiz said:
1) From the spaceship's frame, how do I calculate the ship's acceleration from E, given the ship's Lorentz-adjusted mass, the mass of projectiles fired per second, and any other required parameters? An equation would be very helpful, along with an example using simple values such as 1 second, 1 kg, 1 meter, etc.
I would use the conservation of four-momentum.

BitWiz said:
2) Does the projectile's actual rest mass and final velocity really matter in calculating the reactive force F' that accelerates the ship? If the gluons will put up with it, can I theoretically accelerate a single proton in a Guass gun fast enough to produce an F' that accelerates a (very sturdy) ship to any Lorentz gamma in one ship second? In other words, given perfect engineering, can I directly translate any power to acceleration without regard to the speed-of-light c in the Gauss gun, simply because the projectile's effective mass will always adjust to balance momentum, relative to the ship?
The mass of your projectiles will matter. Remember, both energy and momentum are conserved, so the lighter the projectile the more of the E will go into the projectile.

BitWiz said:
3) As the Gauss field "pushes" the projectile, does the field itself change in a Lorentzian and/or Doppler way from either the projectile's frame or the ship's frame, that reduces the ability to continue to apply force to the projectile? For instance, if the projectile is traveling too fast to see changes in the field propagate from the source, does it still see the field at all?
Yes, but since the projectile is accelerating it is somewhat more complicated than simply a Lorentz transform.

BitWiz said:
4) How does the projectile appear to me (in the ship)? Does it seem to slow down as relativistic effects become conspicuous? If I manage to accelerate it to very close to c, does it ever leave the gun?
Yes, obviously if it accelerates close to c then it will leave the gun slightly later than a photon would.

BitWiz said:
5) Finally, if I accelerate a proton to c minus one-zillionth (or so), does the proton become a black hole from my frame, ie does the Schwartzschild radius expand to encompass the boundary of the particle? Would it know it? How about for larger masses? To me, would the black hole appear virtually stationary?
If it is not a black hole in its rest frame then it will not be a black hole in your frame.

Hi, Dale,

Thanks for the reply. I think I'm going to divide my response if you don't mind.

DaleSpam said:
I would use the conservation of four-momentum.

Thanks, but can we collapse the three space vectors? I just need linear acceleration from E. My starting or ending coordinates don't matter (yet), just my (rocketry-style) delta-V between two points in time. Is there something simple enough to plug into Excel?

Thank you, sir.
Bit/Chris

DaleSpam said:
The mass of your projectiles will matter. Remember, both energy and momentum are conserved, so the lighter the projectile the more of the E will go into the projectile.

Then I guess I don't understand Lorentz. If I use a force F to accelerate a mass for time t, I will end up with a delta-V of X and momentum M (from the object frame?). If I then repeat this process using the identical force and time, I will end up with a smaller X and 2M, will I not? The balance of the momentum change going into mass? Am I screwed up on this?

Thanks,
Chris

BitWiz said:
Thanks, but can we collapse the three space vectors? I just need linear acceleration from E. My starting or ending coordinates don't matter (yet), just my (rocketry-style) delta-V between two points in time. Is there something simple enough to plug into Excel?
The four-momentum won't give you position, just momentum and energy. It is the simplest mechanism I know for keeping track of both and is certainly appropriate for Excel.

BitWiz said:
Then I guess I don't understand Lorentz. If I use a force F to accelerate a mass for time t, I will end up with a delta-V of X and momentum M (from the object frame?). If I then repeat this process using the identical force and time, I will end up with a smaller X and 2M, will I not?
Yes, this is correct. However, you need to remember that in this type of propulsion system the force is not just on the gun, but also on the projectile. You cannot ignore the momentum and energy that goes into the projectile.

DaleSpam said:
If it is not a black hole in its rest frame then it will not be a black hole in your frame.
Hi, Dale,

Let me try this another way. If I accelerate a mass, do its gravitational effects on space-time deepen from any frame along with increases in velocity, or is the "Lorentz mass effect" some other artifact that acts like an increase in mass?

Thanks!
Chris

Here is a FAQ link that I like. It explains how black holes do not form by going too fast.

http://www.edu-observatory.org/physics-faq/Relativity/BlackHoles/black_fast.html

The most important point in the FAQ entry is that in GR gravity couples not only to mass but also to momentum and momentum flow. While in Newtonian gravity the source of gravity is a single scalar field (mass density), in GR the source of gravity is the entire stress-energy tensor which has 10 independent components. While a relativistic mass does have a large energy component, it also has one or more large momentum components. This interaction prevents the formation of a black hole in other frames.

See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stress-energy_tensor
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einstein_field_equations

1. What is a Gauss gun?

A Gauss gun is a type of projectile accelerator that uses electromagnetic forces to launch a projectile at high speeds. It consists of a series of magnets arranged in a straight line, with alternating polarity, and a conductive projectile.

2. How does a Gauss gun work?

When a current is passed through the magnets, it creates a magnetic field that propels the projectile forward. As the projectile moves along the magnets, the polarity of the magnets changes, creating a continuous acceleration of the projectile.

3. How is ship acceleration calculated with a Gauss gun propulsion system?

The acceleration of a ship using a Gauss gun propulsion system can be calculated using the formula a = F/m, where a is the acceleration, F is the force generated by the Gauss gun, and m is the mass of the ship. The force can be calculated using the formula F = BIL, where B is the magnetic field strength, I is the current passing through the magnets, and L is the length of the magnets.

4. What factors can affect the acceleration of a ship using a Gauss gun?

Several factors can affect the acceleration of a ship using a Gauss gun propulsion system. These include the strength of the magnetic field, the amount of current passing through the magnets, the length of the magnets, and the mass of the ship. Other factors such as air resistance and friction can also have an impact on the acceleration.

5. What are the advantages of using a Gauss gun propulsion system for ships?

Gauss gun propulsion systems offer several advantages for ships, including high acceleration rates, low fuel consumption, and reduced emissions. They also have a simple design and require less maintenance compared to traditional propulsion systems. Additionally, they do not require onboard fuel storage, making them ideal for long-distance space travel.