Calculating Soot Deposition in a Circular Pattern

In summary: The first integral is to find the depth of the soot at each r value. The second integral is to find the total volume of the soot at all r values.
1MileCrash

Homework Statement

The soot produced by a garbage incinerator spreads out in a circular pattern. The depth H(r) in millimeters, of the soot deposited each month at distance r kilometers from the incinerator is given by H(r) = 0.115e^(-2r)

Write the definite integral for the amount of soot deposited per month in a 5 kilometer radius.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Looks easy, but something is confusing me.

I integrate from 0 to 5 kilometers and multiply H(r) by 2pir, but since these functions give out different units, one in millimeters and one in kilometers, how can I just straight multiply? I divided H(r) by 10e^6 to put the millimeters into kilometers, but the book doesn't do that. The book just multiplies the two functions and integrates from 0 to 5.

Why is no unit conversion nessesary?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to convert the units. Your book might be wrong. Are you sure it didn't multiply/divide a unit conversion factor in there somewhere you didn't notice?

I am sure. If I ran their integral as is, would I get a correct volume in cubic meters, or just a nonsense result?

noo you don't have to convert the units. H(r) is in millimetres and r is in kilometres. The equation already takes into account that r is in km, and spits out an answer in mm.

What? But I have to multiply that by the area, 2pir, which is surely in kilometers..

Oh I'm sorry I think I've misunderstood what's going on. Let me know if this is right: H(r)dr will give you the depth of the soot at each r value along a radius. you want to get the volume of this soot so you multiply the H(r)dr by 2pir, but you're pretty sure that there has to be a unit conversion. It sounds to me like you're right.

EDIT: oooo they give you an answer in cubic metres? Sounds to me like they did a little unit conversion under your nose. If they did km * mm, they might not do a unit conversion because km/1000 = metres and mm*1000 = metres. So they might have just skipped it and settled on metres.

No, they gave me nothing. I am asking if evaluating their integral that has no conversion will give a correct volume in cubic meters, since one unit is 1000 times smaller, and one is 1000 times bigger.

ohh that's a question? Well this is confusing.

I feel like you need two integrals for this problem. I think that you need one to integrate across the radius to find depth. And the second integral to find the volume of that slice rotated 360 degrees.

No..

What is a volume integral and why is it important?

A volume integral is a type of mathematical integral used to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional object. It is important in many fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and fluid mechanics, as it allows us to determine the volume of irregularly shaped objects and solve problems involving volume and mass.

How do I set up a volume integral?

To set up a volume integral, you first need to define the limits of integration for each variable (x, y, and z) and the function that represents the object's shape and density. The integral is then written as ∫∫∫ f(x, y, z) dV, where dV represents a small volume element within the object.

What are some common applications of volume integrals?

Volume integrals are often used in physics to calculate the mass and center of mass of objects, in fluid mechanics to determine the flow rate of fluids, and in engineering to analyze the stress and strain on solid objects. They are also used in computer graphics to render 3D objects and in medical imaging to reconstruct 3D images of internal organs.

How is a volume integral different from a surface integral?

A volume integral calculates the volume of a three-dimensional object, while a surface integral calculates the surface area of a two-dimensional surface. In other words, a volume integral integrates over a volume, while a surface integral integrates over a surface.

What are some tips for solving volume integral homework problems?

Some tips for solving volume integral homework problems include carefully defining the limits of integration, choosing the appropriate coordinate system, and breaking the volume into smaller, simpler shapes if necessary. It is also important to double-check your work and make sure your units are consistent throughout the problem.