Calculating Speed, Angular Velocity, and Tension in Circular Motion of a Gymnast

In summary, a gymnast of mass 75kg swings from point P to point Q on a light rope with a circular arc through his center of mass with a radius of 10m. To calculate the speed, angular velocity, and tension at point Q, the equations for centripetal force, maximum tension of vertical motion, and kinetic energy were used. The speed at point Q was found to be 9.9m/s, the angular velocity was 0.99 rad/s, and the tension at point Q was determined to be 735N. However, using F=ma to find the centripetal force was incorrect, as the gymnast's acceleration at the bottom of the arc is not just g, the acceleration
Scarlet_pat

Homework Statement

a gymnast of mass 75kg swinging from at a point p on a light rope to point Q. the circular arc through his centre of mass has radious of 10m

calculate:
speed at Q
angular velocity at Q
tension of string at point Q

Homework Equations

centripetal force
f=ma, f=m * v^2/r
omega (w) = v/r
maximun tension of vertical motion, F= T + mg ; T = F - mg

The Attempt at a Solution

Speed at Q

since F = ma = 75 x 9.8 =735 N
therefore the centripetal force of the circle is = 735 N

using F = m * v^2/ r
solve for v ... root F*R/m= V = root 735 x 10/75 = 9.9m/s

angular velocity:
since v =rw ; v/r =w 9.9/10 = 0.99 rad/s

tension at point Q
maximim tension is F= T=mg ; f-mg = T = 735 - 735 = 0 N

T shouldn't be 0 N...

i think i have made a mistake from the beginning, did i use the right equation to obtain centripetal force ?

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    3.2 KB · Views: 407
Physics news on Phys.org
With F = ma you've calculated the gymnast's weight, not the centripetal force at the bottom of the arc, which will depend upon his speed.

Can you think of a way to find the gymnast's kinetic energy at the bottom of the arc?

gneill said:
With F = ma you've calculated the gymnast's weight, not the centripetal force at the bottom of the arc, which will depend upon his speed.

Can you think of a way to find the gymnast's kinetic energy at the bottom of the arc?

thank you for replying

check this out

F=ma ... while a - rw^2
F=mrw^2 ... while w =v/r
F= m* v^2 / r ...
and that is why i claimed that F =ma will gives me centripetal force

Time was not given in the question therefore other equation is a no-go
such as theta = s/ r or v= s /t

Scarlet_pat said:
thank you for replying

check this out

F=ma ... while a - rw^2
F=mrw^2 ... while w =v/r
F= m* v^2 / r ...
and that is why i claimed that F =ma will gives me centripetal force

Well, unfortunately it is not the case, since his acceleration at the bottom of the arc is not just g, the acceleration due to gravity.

Time was not given in the question therefore other equation is a no-go
such as theta = s/ r or v= s /t

Have you considered conservation of energy?

gneill said:
Well, unfortunately it is not the case, since his acceleration at the bottom of the arc is not just g, the acceleration due to gravity.

Have you considered conservation of energy?

well my teacher has never ever mention anything about conservation of energy while we are doing circular motion, therefore i doubt that.
however ... which formula should i use to obtain centripetal force then ?

The first thing you want to find is the speed of the gymnast at the bottom of the arc. What has supplied his kinetic energy?

according to the diagram... he starts at point P to point Q... therefore... his mass and gravity would be the elements which supplied his kinetic energy .. i suppose ?

Scarlet_pat said:
according to the diagram... he starts at point P to point Q... therefore... his mass and gravity would be the elements which supplied his kinetic energy .. i suppose ?

Yes, and specifically, the gravitational potential energy of his mass. If you can work out his change in gravitational potential energy, then you have his kinetic energy (since PE has been traded for KE as he falls).

but then i don't not have the distance between the two objects ... in this case ... position. in the formula of gravitation acceleration requires distances =.=!

Scarlet_pat said:
but then i don't not have the distance between the two objects ... in this case ... position. in the formula of gravitation acceleration requires distances =.=!

Surely you can determine the difference in height between points P and Q?

height ..? i thought it'd be the distance of the arc... p - q

Height. Gravitational potential depends upon radial distance from the center of the Earth (in the large scale), and when working over small distances near the surface of the Earth it depends upon change in height.

ok then... therefore ... what would be the distance in this case...:( sorry ...

and the formula is - GM/ r^2 * unit vector?

What's the radius of the circle he's swinging through? If he starts at the same height as the circle center, what's his change of height when he moves to the bottom of the circle?

For an object of mass M near the surface of the Earth,

ΔPEgravitational = M*g*Δh

M is the mass of the body that's changing height. Δh is the change in height.

omg... -.- i didnt know that it uses the same formula.. thank you thank you...
after i find the PE - gravitational...
based on the formula my teacher gave me, none of them has have corelation with Energy...

PE = KE , work = F x distance ( height perhaps ? )
F= work / Distance?

Scarlet_pat said:
omg... -.- i didnt know that it uses the same formula.. thank you thank you...
after i find the PE - gravitational...
based on the formula my teacher gave me, none of them has have corelation with Energy...

PE = KE , work = F x distance ( height perhaps ? )
F= work / Distance?

In the case of the gravitational force doing work, distance = change in height, and f = M*g, the weight of the object. So, work = M*g*Δh.

That work done is going to end up as kinetic energy. How do you relate kinetic energy to speed?

i do understand the work = mgh formula ..

E = Mv^2 right ?!

Half of that. KE = (1/2) M v2

ok it makes perfect sense .. now ... thank you very much...:D
thank you thank you
thanks for your time

No problem. Glad to help. Good luck.

What is circular motion?

Circular motion refers to the movement of an object along a circular path at a constant speed. It involves the object continuously changing its direction, while maintaining a constant distance from a fixed point.

How does a gymnast perform circular motion?

A gymnast performs circular motion by using their body to create a circular path. They use their muscles to push and pull themselves in a circular motion, while also using their arms and legs to maintain their balance and control their speed.

What factors affect the circular motion of a gymnast?

The factors that affect the circular motion of a gymnast include their body shape, strength, and technique. The shape and size of the circular path created by the gymnast's body will also affect their motion. Additionally, external factors such as air resistance and friction can also impact the circular motion of a gymnast.

What is the role of centripetal force in circular motion?

Centripetal force is the force that pulls an object towards the center of its circular path. In the case of a gymnast, this force is created by the tension in their muscles, which allows them to maintain their circular motion without flying off in a straight line.

What are some applications of circular motion in gymnastics?

Circular motion is a fundamental aspect of gymnastics, as it is used in various routines and skills such as flips, spins, and swings on the bars and rings. It also plays a crucial role in maintaining balance and control in other gymnastic movements and routines.