Calculating steradians (solid angle)

In summary, you need to integrate ## d \Omega ## over the section you are considering in order to find the steradian.
jmc

Homework Statement

For a sphere of radius r, find the solid angle Ω in steradians defined by spherical angles
of: a.) 0°≤θ≤ 20°, 0°≤ø≤360°;

Homework Equations

dA = r2 sin dθ dø (m2)
dΩ = dA / r2 = sin dθ dø (sr)

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I understand what a steradian (sr) is, on a sphere, and I need to find what ratio of a 4∏ is formed by the above limits, but I can't make the connection on how to form that ratio. ?

Physics news on Phys.org
First, draw a sketch of the region. I assume you are familiar with spherical coordinates?

I have tried to sketch it. What I see is.the top portion of the sphere, sliced where 20 deg from the X-axis meets the edge of the sphere.
But how to convert that to a steridian, I still don't see.

Thank you

jmc said:
I have tried to sketch it. What I see is.the top portion of the sphere, sliced where 20 deg from the X-axis meets the edge of the sphere.
But how to convert that to a steridian, I still don't see.

Thank you

You have to go back to the definition of what the steradian represents:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steradian

In other words, you got some calculatin' to do. You know the region for which the steradian is desired, now you have to calculate the values of the quantities in the formula for the steradian.

jmc said:

Homework Statement

For a sphere of radius r, find the solid angle Ω in steradians defined by spherical angles
of: a.) 0°≤θ≤ 20°, 0°≤ø≤360°;

Homework Equations

dA = r2 sin dθ dø (m2)
dΩ = dA / r2 = sin dθ dø (sr)

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I understand what a steradian (sr) is, on a sphere, and I need to find what ratio of a 4∏ is formed by the above limits, but I can't make the connection on how to form that ratio. ?

You do not need to take any ratio. You simply have to integrate ## d \Omega ## over the section you are considering.

What is a steradian?

A steradian is a unit of measurement for solid angles, which are the three-dimensional equivalent of angles in two-dimensional space. It is used to measure the amount of space an object or light source takes up in three-dimensional space.

How do you calculate steradians?

The formula for calculating steradians is: solid angle = area of spherical cap / radius squared. This involves finding the area of the base of a cone with a height equal to the radius and an angle of 1 radian at the apex, and then dividing it by the square of the radius. This will give you the solid angle in steradians.

Why do we use steradians?

Steradians are used to measure solid angles because they are a more accurate and consistent unit than traditional angles. Since traditional angles depend on the size of the object being measured, they are not as precise for measuring the amount of space an object or light source takes up in three-dimensional space.

What is the relationship between steradians and radians?

Steradians and radians are both units of measurement for angles, but they are used in different contexts. Radians are commonly used to measure angles in two-dimensional space, while steradians are used to measure solid angles in three-dimensional space. One steradian is equal to 1/radians squared.

Can you convert from steradians to other units of measurement?

Yes, you can convert from steradians to other units of measurement such as square degrees or square arcminutes. The conversion factor for steradians to square degrees is 3282.8, and the conversion factor for steradians to square arcminutes is 4.6x10^6.