Calculating Stiffness & Displacement of Structure w/100kN Weight

In summary, the Homework statement has a weight of 100kN and has a natural period of 1 second. The structure is subjected to a half sine wave loading having a magnitude of 10kN and lasting 2 seconds. The maximum displacement of the structure occurs and the time at which it occurs is 0.1 seconds.
Gogeta_2

Homework Statement

1. A structure with weight of 100 kN and which has a natural period of 1 second.
Compute the stiffness of the structure. The structure has 5% critical damping. The
structure when at rest is subjected to a half sine wave loading having a magnitude of
10kN and lasting 2 seconds. Find the maximum displacement of the structure and the
time at which it occurs. Take the acceleration of gravity as 10 m/sec2.

2. Repeat question 1 above using the approximate solution treating the impulse as a very
short duration loading where the duration of the impulse is 0.1 seconds.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to start, if someone can just give me steps to follow that would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Can you give us more background? is this an architectural or structural engineering course?

The question seems pretty specialized.

jedishrfu said:
Welcome to PF!

Can you give us more background? is this an architectural or structural engineering course?

The question seems pretty specialized.

Thanks!
This question is based on the dynamics of structures under earthquake loading.

Is this an undergrad or graduate level?

It helps when we understand where you are at in your studies. Thats why there's the relevant equations section of the template.

Are you using MATLAB or some other engineering tool?

I found this set of course slides that talk about the theory. There maybe something there that will get you started:

http://www.ct.upt.ro/users/AurelStratan/dsis/en-curs01_dsis.pdf

Also have you checked with other students or your book surely there are related problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
jedishrfu said:
Is this an undergrad or graduate level?

It helps when we understand where you are at in your studies. Thats why there's the relevant equations section of the template.

Are you using MATLAB or some other engineering tool?

I found this set of course slides that talk about the theory. There maybe something there that will get you started:

http://www.ct.upt.ro/users/AurelStratan/dsis/en-curs01_dsis.pdf

Also have you checked with other students or your book surely there are related problems.

I am at graduate level, we can use MATLAB to solve this, however, this question does not require the use of MATLAB.
Thank you for your post I will check the slides out.
The book hasn't got a similar related problem which is why I don't know how to start

Last edited by a moderator:
I found another reference for you googling some of the text in your problem statement:

http://www.arch.virginia.edu/arcade/materials/arch721/dynamics-lab/dynamics-lab-v3.2.pdf

This seems to be a lab where the student has determine the same kinds of things only some steps are provided.

Related to Calculating Stiffness & Displacement of Structure w/100kN Weight

1. How do you calculate the stiffness of a structure?

The stiffness of a structure can be calculated by dividing the applied load by the resulting displacement. This ratio is known as the stiffness constant or modulus of elasticity and is typically measured in units of N/m or lbs/in.

2. What is the significance of calculating stiffness in a structure?

Calculating stiffness is important because it allows us to understand how much a structure can resist deformation under a given load. It also helps engineers and designers determine the appropriate materials and dimensions needed for a structure to meet specific performance requirements.

3. How do you determine the displacement of a structure under a 100kN weight?

The displacement of a structure under a 100kN weight can be determined by using the equation F = kx, where F is the applied load (100kN), k is the stiffness constant, and x is the resulting displacement.

4. Can the stiffness of a structure change over time?

Yes, the stiffness of a structure can change over time due to factors such as material deterioration, environmental conditions, and applied loads. It is important to regularly monitor and maintain structures to ensure their stiffness remains within safe and functional limits.

5. How does the weight of a structure affect its stiffness and displacement?

The weight of a structure can affect its stiffness and displacement in various ways. A heavier structure will typically have a higher stiffness, as it can resist deformation more easily. However, a heavier structure may also experience larger displacements under the same load, depending on its design and material properties.