Calculating Strain in a Slowing Elevator Cable

In summary, the strain in the steel cable supporting a 1260kg freight elevator loaded with a crowd of people weighing 2850kg and descending, when brought to a stop in 0.600 seconds, can be calculated using the equation - (1260kg + 2850kg)v = F(0.6s). The diameter of the cable is necessary to find the cross-sectional area, and the velocity (v) is needed to solve for F, which is the strain. However, the velocity is not given in the conversation. Further assistance is needed to determine the velocity and solve for the strain in this situation.
Tycho
A 1260kg freight elevator is supported by a steel cable of diameter 34.9mm. It is loaded with a crowd of people collectively having a mass of 2850kg and it is descending.
What is the strain in the cable when it is brought to a stop in 0.600s?

I'm not really sure how to figure in the fact that the elevator is slowing in this equation? a little push in the right direction would be GREATLY GREATLY appreciated. thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
i believe this is an impluse question, idk what the diameter has to do with anything...

[tex]\frac{dp}{dt} = F [/tex]
[tex]-(1260kg + 2850kg)v = F(.6s) [/tex]
solve for F and that is what i would assume "strain" means, however idk what the v would be is it given? idk...sorry...

you need the diameter to find the cross-sectional area of the cable. i understand all that, but i need the strain when it is slowing. i got the strain when it was moving at a constant velocity (i think).
does anyone know how to figure this?

1. What is strain on a slowing elevator?

Strain on a slowing elevator refers to the force or tension that is experienced by the elevator car and its passengers as the elevator decelerates or comes to a stop. It is a measure of the stress placed on the elevator components and the human body during this process.

2. How is strain on a slowing elevator measured?

Strain on a slowing elevator is typically measured in units of force, such as Newtons or pounds, using sensors and strain gauges placed on various parts of the elevator system. These measurements can then be used to calculate the force and stress experienced by the elevator and its passengers.

3. What factors contribute to strain on a slowing elevator?

Several factors can contribute to strain on a slowing elevator, including the speed and weight of the elevator car, the rate of deceleration, and the condition and design of the elevator's braking system. The number of passengers and distribution of weight within the elevator car can also affect the strain experienced.

4. What are the potential risks of high strain on a slowing elevator?

High strain on a slowing elevator can lead to excessive wear and tear on the elevator components, potentially causing malfunctions and breakdowns. It can also result in discomfort or injuries for passengers, especially those with pre-existing medical conditions or who are not properly secured within the elevator car.

5. How can strain on a slowing elevator be reduced?

To reduce strain on a slowing elevator, regular maintenance and inspections of the elevator system should be conducted to ensure proper functioning of all components, including brakes and cables. Elevator speed and deceleration rates can also be adjusted to minimize strain. Additionally, passengers can help reduce strain by following safety guidelines, such as not exceeding the weight limit and holding onto handrails while in the elevator.