Looking for help with Elevator Problem

• Thread starter Scene
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Elevator
In summary: If you are accelerating downwards, are you going to feel lighter or heavier?You now have the equations, so why not just solve for your unknowns?In summary, the elevator with a total mass of 800 kg has an initial velocity of 6 m/s downwards and slows to a stop with constant acceleration in 3 seconds. The tension in the supporting cable while the elevator is brought to a rest is 6,240 N. A 50.0-kg man stands on a bathroom scale while riding on the elevator. The reading on the scale as it is brought to a halt is 490 N. After the stop, the elevator starts to move down with an initial acceleration of 1 m/s^2. The reading on
Scene
I'm not sure if I approached this problem correctly and would like some assistance.

Homework Statement

An elevator with a total mass of 800 kg is moving downward at 6 m/s. It slows to
a stop with constant acceleration in 3 seconds.
a) Find the tension T in the supporting cable while the elevator is brought to
a rest.
b) A 50.0-kg man stands on a bathroom scale while riding on the elevator.
What is the reading on the scale as it is brought to a halt?
c) After the stop, the elevator starts to move down – initially with 1 m/s2
acceleration. What is the reading of the weighing scale?

Homework Equations

ƩF=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

For a), I wrote ƩF=ma and I considered going up to be positive My equation was T - mg = ma. I ended up with T = m(a + g) for finding the tension. I saw that the elevator was being brought to rest so I figured that the acceleration would be zero and ended up with T = mg which was 7,840 Newtons.
For b) I drew a free-body diagram of the man and the forces acting on him which were the normal force and mg. I wrote ƩF=ma and my equation was N-mg = 0 which gave me N = mg which was 490 Newtons.
For c), I did pretty much the same thing as b), except my equation was N = m(a + g). I plugged in the given a and g and ended up with N= 440 Newtons.

Just looking to see if I approached this problem correctly. I can't help but think I did it wrong because I didn't utilize the given 6 m/s at all. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Scene said:
For a), I wrote ƩF=ma and I considered going up to be positive My equation was T - mg = ma. I ended up with T = m(a + g) for finding the tension. I saw that the elevator was being brought to rest so I figured that the acceleration would be zero and ended up with T = mg which was 7,840 Newtons.
Acceleration cannot be zero because the speed of the elevator is changing.
They want the situation after the elevator has started accelerating but before it has come to rest.
This is where you needed the 6m/s.

For b) I drew a free-body diagram of the man and the forces acting on him which were the normal force and mg. I wrote ƩF=ma and my equation was N-mg = 0 which gave me N = mg which was 490 Newtons.
How can the forces be equal - the man is accelerating: there has to be a net unbalanced force on him.

When was the last time you saw bathroom scales that gave readings in "Newtons"?

For c), I did pretty much the same thing as b), except my equation was N = m(a + g). I plugged in the given a and g and ended up with N= 440 Newtons.
You have probably ridden in elevators before ... when the elevator is going down, do you feel lighter or heavier?

Simon Bridge said:
Acceleration cannot be zero because the speed of the elevator is changing.
They want the situation after the elevator has started accelerating but before it has come to rest.
This is where you needed the 6m/s.

I used a kinematic equation of Vf = Vit + at to find the acceleration, which I got to be -2m/s2. I used this to get a tension of 6,240 N.

Simon Bridge said:
How can the forces be equal - the man is accelerating: there has to be a net unbalanced force on him.
You are right. I used the acceleration I found earlier in my equation N = m(g + a) and ended up with 390 N for the scale reading which would be 39.8kg.

Simon Bridge said:
You have probably ridden in elevators before ... when the elevator is going down, do you feel lighter or heavier?

I got confused and thought I needed a reading smaller than 390 N, but he's already moving at 7.8 m/s2 downwards in that reading. When he's standing still, his reading would be 490 N and in part c) he's moving at 1 m/s2 downward so his reading is 440 N. I think I have it down, now.

Last edited:
Scene said:
I used a kinematic equation of Vf = Vit + at to find the acceleration, which I got to be -2m/s2. I used this to get a tension of 6,240 N.

What does it mean when it's negative? In which direction is your acceleration pointing?

Better - but your equation is incorrect ... you can see that the first term on the right, Vit, which I take to be ##v_i t##, has units of length ... but the second term on the right, ##at## as well as ##v_f## on the left have units of speed. This is inconsistent as well since, from your answer, it looks like you may have used the right one anyway.

Also - you have stated earlier that you have chosen +y (upwards) to be the positive direction. The initial velocity of the elevator is in the -y direction. I don't think you took that into account.

When you get a result you should always be thinking "what does this mean?" Try to see if your answers are consistent with what you know.

What is the Elevator Problem?

The Elevator Problem refers to the challenge of efficiently and safely moving people and objects between different floors of a building using elevators.

What factors affect elevator efficiency?

There are several factors that can impact elevator efficiency, such as the number of elevators in a building, the size and speed of the elevators, the number of floors in the building, and the traffic patterns of people using the elevators.

How do engineers design elevators to be safe?

Engineers use a variety of safety features in elevator design, including multiple cables for support, emergency brakes, and sensors that detect obstructions or malfunctions. Regular maintenance and inspections are also crucial for ensuring elevator safety.

How can technology improve elevator efficiency?

Technology has played a significant role in improving elevator efficiency. Innovations such as destination dispatch systems, which group passengers based on their desired floors, and regenerative braking, which captures energy from elevator movement, have helped to reduce wait times and energy consumption.

Are there any environmental impacts of elevator use?

Elevators can have both positive and negative environmental impacts. On one hand, they can contribute to energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions. On the other hand, elevators can also reduce the need for escalators, which consume more energy. Additionally, energy-efficient elevators and those that use regenerative braking can help to mitigate their environmental impact.