Calculating stress and strains for beam of applied force

In summary: Of course, you can't have a stress perpendicular to the length if the force is parallel to the length.In summary, to calculate the stress when a force is applied to both ends of a rectangular beam, you can use the equation $\sigma = F/A = \frac{F}{wh}$, where A is the area perpendicular to the applied force. When the force is parallel to the [111] direction, the stress and strain are of a different nature and cannot be calculated using the same equation. Additionally, when the force is perpendicular to the cross section, the internal force in the beam must be used to determine the axial stress.
jhartc90

Homework Statement

If I consider a force, which is applied to both ends of a rectangular beam to its cross section with dimensions w (width) and h (height) and I know the length of the beam is l and the force is parallel, how can I calculate the stress?

Also, what if the force were parallel to the [111] direction? How could I calculate the stress and strain considering the force is not parallel?

Homework Equations

For the first part, I think I would just use:
$$\sigma = F/A = \frac{F}{wh}$$

I now that A is the area perpendicular to the applied force.
But do I need to anything specific to account for the fact that it is applied at both ends?

Also, when the force applied is in the [111] direction, I am not sure how to calculate the stress and strain.

The Attempt at a Solution

As per the relevant equations, I show my attempt. I just use
for the first part. Not sure if it should be 2F since the force is applied on both ends?

I am not sure about how to calculate stress and strain when the force is parallel to the [111] direction. Any ideas? How do I calculate the area perpendicular to the applied force in [111] direction (just in variables).

Physics news on Phys.org
jhartc90 said:

Homework Statement

If I consider a force, which is applied to both ends of a rectangular beam to its cross section with dimensions w (width) and h (height) and I know the length of the beam is l and the force is parallel, how can I calculate the stress?

Also, what if the force were parallel to the [111] direction? How could I calculate the stress and strain considering the force is not parallel?

Homework Equations

For the first part, I think I would just use:

I now that A is the area perpendicular to the applied force.
But do I need to anything specific to account for the fact that it is applied at both ends?

Also, when the force applied is in the [111] direction, I am not sure how to calculate the stress and strain.

The Attempt at a Solution

As per the relevant equations, I show my attempt. I just use
for the first part. Not sure if it should be 2F since the force is applied on both ends?

I am not sure about how to calculate stress and strain when the force is parallel to the [111] direction. Any ideas? How do I calculate the area perpendicular to the applied force in [111] direction (just in variables).
When you apply a force F perpendicular to the cross section (parallel to the axial length of the beam) , the reaction force at the other end must be F in the opposite direction, from equilibrium considerations. Thus, the net external force on the beam is zero. But, the internal force in the beam is non-zero, and that internal force perpendicular to the cross section is the force to use when determining the axial stress. So if you draw a free body diagram cutting through the beam, is that internal force F or 2F?
For the second part, I don't know what you mean by the [111] direction, you mean perpendicular to the length? That's a stress of a different nature.

1. What is the formula for calculating stress on a beam?

The formula for calculating stress on a beam is stress = force/area, where force is the applied force on the beam and area is the cross-sectional area of the beam.

2. How do you calculate strain on a beam?

The formula for calculating strain on a beam is strain = change in length/original length, where the change in length is the difference between the final length of the beam and its original length.

3. How does the applied force affect the stress and strain on a beam?

The applied force has a direct effect on the stress and strain on a beam. As the applied force increases, the stress and strain on the beam also increase.

4. What are the units of stress and strain?

The units of stress are typically measured in Pascals (Pa) or Newtons per square meter (N/m^2), while the units of strain are dimensionless or expressed as a percentage.

5. Can you calculate the stress and strain on a beam for any type of force?

Yes, the stress and strain on a beam can be calculated for any type of force, as long as the force is known and the properties of the beam, such as its material and dimensions, are also known.