The strain of a dog-bone specimen

In summary, a dog-bone specimen made of aluminum alloy is being tested for tensile strength using two steel pins and a force of 4000N. The dimensions of the specimen and pins are provided, along with the mechanical properties of the materials. The goal is to calculate the strain of the aluminum specimen using a theoretical solution. The approach of treating the 100mm section as a bar in tension is the correct method, taking into account the geometry of the specimen.
10hi-f9s

Homework Statement

A dog-bone specimen made by aluminum alloy is used for tensile testing by a force of 4000N via two steel pins. The dimension of the specimen is shown in the following picture; the thickness of specimen and the length of pins are 4mm and 8mm, respectively. The mechanical properties of aluminum alloy and steel are: EAl = 70GPa, νAl = 0.3, ESteel = 200GPa, νSteel = 0.3. The measured values via the testing are “average” strain of reduced section and maximum Von-Mises stress of the aluminum specimen.
1. Calculate the strain of the aluminum specimen by the theoretical solution.

I have attached a picture of the specimen

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am unsure of how to calculate the strain with such an advanced geometry. I would solve this as a bar in tension with the dimensions 100x20x4mm with a force of 4000N in each end. This way the applied stress can be calculated:
[tex]\sigma=\frac{F}{A}[/tex]
With F being the force applied and A the section area.
From this the strain can be found by:
[tex]\sigma=E\varepsilon[/tex]

I am sure there must be another more correct way, but this is only thing I've come up with so far..

I hope you guys can help

Attachments

• Skærmbillede 2015-03-23 kl. 2.48.14 PM.png
    Skærmbillede 2015-03-23 kl. 2.48.14 PM.png
    18.8 KB · Views: 1,802
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like your approach is perfect. The rest of the dogbone geometry is designed to guarantee that the 100 mm section in the middle can be treated the way that you are treating it.

Chet

Hi Cheat
Thank you so much for your answer. It really helped me!

1. What is the strain of a dog-bone specimen?

The strain of a dog-bone specimen refers to the amount of deformation or elongation the specimen undergoes when subjected to a tensile force. It is typically expressed as a percentage of the original length of the specimen.

2. How is the strain of a dog-bone specimen measured?

The strain of a dog-bone specimen can be measured using a strain gauge or extensometer, which are devices that attach to the specimen and detect changes in length as the specimen is subjected to a tensile force. The change in length is then divided by the original length to calculate the strain.

3. What factors can affect the strain of a dog-bone specimen?

The strain of a dog-bone specimen can be affected by various factors such as the material properties of the specimen, the cross-sectional area, the length of the specimen, the amount of force applied, and the testing conditions (e.g. temperature, humidity).

4. Why is the strain of a dog-bone specimen important in material testing?

The strain of a dog-bone specimen is important in material testing because it provides information about the material's ability to withstand tensile forces and its overall strength and ductility. It can also help determine the material's elasticity and its potential for deformation or failure under different conditions.

5. How does the strain of a dog-bone specimen relate to stress?

The strain of a dog-bone specimen is directly related to stress through Hooke's Law, which states that the strain of a material is proportional to the stress applied to it. This means that as the stress on the specimen increases, the strain will also increase in a linear fashion, until the material reaches its maximum stress and begins to deform or fail.