Calculating Stress Tensor for MEMS Project

In summary: The Mohrs circle is a way to measure the rotation of a body about a given axis. It is useful for stress calculations in rotationally symmetric situations.
leofur
Hi all,
I'm doing a MEMS project, I have a cantilever beam with a mass at its end, I need to calculate the stress tensor at the beam contact point, there is a piezoelectric matirial there, and I want to calculate the voltage it generates. somebody can please help me and explain how to calculate the stress tensor there, I don't know solid state physics that good, and the last 2 days I was searching the web for this, but couldn't find anything.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello, I am wondering about the actual usefulness of the stress tensor.
I know it fully defines the state of stress at a point inside a material which is under the action of external forces.
But if the stress tensor has components and eigenvalues that change from point to point, how can it be practically useful? Also, we cannot really measure it directly, right?
The inertia tensor, for instance, is a global property of the body (it only depends on the choice of the rotation axes).
I "guess" the answer to my question is maybe related to the Mohrs circle? (which I do not know what it really is)...
thanks

Even though the stress tensor is applicable at a point, unlike the inertia tensor, it is still very applicable. This requires some engineering judgement of where to evaluate the stresses in a body. Granted, numerical methods now make this easier to know where to really look. The tensor is measurable by strai gauges. There are assumptions made with them because strain gauges are actually an average over a finite area in stead of at a point. However, for the engineering purpose, they are quite good.

1. What is a stress tensor and why is it important in MEMS projects?

A stress tensor is a mathematical representation of the distribution of forces acting on a material. In MEMS projects, it is important because it allows us to analyze and predict the mechanical behavior of micro-scale devices under different loading conditions.

2. How is a stress tensor calculated for a MEMS project?

A stress tensor is calculated by using the principles of continuum mechanics, which involves breaking down the device into small elements and considering the forces acting on each element. The resulting equations can then be solved using numerical methods or software programs.

3. What are the units of a stress tensor in MEMS projects?

In MEMS projects, stress tensors are typically expressed in units of pressure, such as pascals (Pa) or megapascals (MPa). However, they can also be represented in units of force per unit area, such as newtons per square meter (N/m^2).

4. How does the stress tensor affect the design and performance of MEMS devices?

The stress tensor plays a crucial role in the design and performance of MEMS devices. It helps engineers identify areas of high stress, which can lead to failure or decreased performance. By analyzing the stress tensor, engineers can optimize the design and material selection to improve the reliability and performance of the device.

5. What are some common challenges when calculating stress tensors for MEMS projects?

Some common challenges include accurately modeling the complex geometry of MEMS devices, considering the effects of micro-scale phenomena such as surface tension and adhesion, and dealing with uncertainties in material properties at the micro-scale. It is important to use appropriate modeling techniques and to validate the results with experimental data.