Calculating Support Forces in Statics: Solving Equations for A and B

In summary: It's not clear why F = 25.04 lbs. What was the original problem statement?The given information was: "The force F creates a 200 lb moment about point A and a 100 lb moment about point B. Calculate the force F." I created the equations to find the force using the geometry and points given in the diagram.The question did not ask about the support forces but I want to figure them out just for knowledge.I used the angle at the supports as 42°.
aaronfue
I've been trying to figure this out for 4 days now. I'm completely stumped. I've attached a picture of the diagram: http://postimage.org/image/t3d5i0l1v/

I found the force in F:
F = 25.04 lb ---> 16.92i + 18.46j
Now I need to find the support forces at A and B.

I'm not sure if this is right but I came up with the following equations:

I used the angle at the supports as 42°.

ƩFx=0= -Bx*cos42 - Ax*cos42 +16.92
ƩFy=0= - By*sin42 - Ay*sin42 +18.46

Then I thought about taking the moment about point A:

ƩMa=0=Fx*2 + Fy*9 - Bx*cos42 *(9) - Bysin42 *(8)

Then the moment about the other points F and B. A the end I got the following equations.
ƩFx (Eq. 1): (0.743)Ax + (0.743)Bx = 16.9
ƩFy (Eq. 2): (0.670)Ay + (0.743)By = 18.5
ƩMa (Eq. 3): (6.7)Bx + (5.63)By = -200
ƩMb (Eq. 4): (6.7)Ax - (5.63)Ay = 100

Now when I try to solve these equations my unknowns cancel out! What’s the deal!??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's not clear why F = 25.04 lbs. What was the original problem statement?

I'm sorry I didn't clarify the force, F.

The given information was: "The force F creates a 200 lb moment about point A and a 100 lb moment about point B. Calculate the force F." I created the equations to find the force using the geometry and points given in the diagram.

The question did not ask about the support forces but I want to figure them out just for knowledge.

aaronfue said:

I'm not sure why you are multiplying Bx, By, Ax, Ay by angles. The component of B in the x direction is Bx. The component of B in the y direction is By.

If B was your vector and B was the magnitude of the vector B then I could see Bx = B cos 42, By = B sin 42, etc. But you notation is shorthand for B = Bx i + By j

Please confirm coordinates of the point of application of F. The sketch shows (4,3) but it scales as (3,4).

Also, Bx and By are not trig related as stated, since member AB is not a 2 force member.

The coordinates for F are (4,3).

You're right aralbrec...I usually use them as a reference for which axis I'm working with. I completely forgot about that! Thanks for the reminder!

aaronfue said:
I've been trying to figure this out for 4 days now. I'm completely stumped. I've attached a picture of the diagram: http://postimage.org/image/t3d5i0l1v/

I found the force in F:
F = 25.04 lb ---> 16.92i + 18.46j
Now I need to find the support forces at A and B.

I'm not sure if this is right but I came up with the following equations:

from the vertical
your error here has already been addressed
Then I thought about taking the moment about point A:

ƩMa=0=Fx*2 + Fy*9 - Bx*cos42 *(9) - Bysin42 *(8)
Since the support at B is a roller, it can only support forces perpendicular to AB; so in your above equation, take note of this
Then the moment about the other points F and B. A the end I got the following equations.
ƩFx (Eq. 1): (0.743)Ax + (0.743)Bx = 16.9
ƩFy (Eq. 2): (0.670)Ay + (0.743)By = 18.5
ƩMa (Eq. 3): (6.7)Bx + (5.63)By = -200
ƩMb (Eq. 4): (6.7)Ax - (5.63)Ay = 100

Now when I try to solve these equations my unknowns cancel out! What’s the deal!??
make corrections...

OMG...I can't believe I didn't see that. Thank you friend. I'm done now!

1. What is the definition of support forces in statics?

Support forces in statics refer to the forces that act on an object to keep it in equilibrium. These forces can be either external forces acting on the object or internal forces within the object.

2. How do you determine the support forces on an object?

To determine the support forces on an object, you must first draw a free body diagram of the object, showing all the external forces acting on it. Then, using Newton's laws of motion and the principle of static equilibrium, you can solve for the unknown support forces.

3. What are the different types of support forces?

The different types of support forces are: normal forces, which act perpendicular to the surface of contact, friction forces, which act parallel to the surface of contact, and tension or compression forces, which act along the length of a structural member.

4. How do support forces affect the stability of a structure?

Support forces play a crucial role in determining the stability of a structure. If the support forces are not balanced, the structure can experience movement or even collapse. It is important to consider the magnitude, direction, and location of support forces when designing structures to ensure stability.

5. Can support forces change over time?

Yes, support forces can change over time if there are any changes in the external forces acting on the object or if the object itself changes in some way. For example, if a person standing on a bridge moves, the support forces on the bridge will also change. Additionally, as a structure ages, the support forces may change due to wear and tear on the materials.