Calculating Tension in a Sleigh Rope on Snow

In summary, the question asks for the magnitude of tension needed to keep a sleigh with a total mass of 47 kg and two small children moving at a constant velocity over level snow with a coefficient of friction of 0.11 and a rope at an angle of 23 degrees with the horizontal. To solve this, the normal force must be found, which is not equal to the force of gravity due to the angle of the rope. To find the normal force, the component of rope force in the positive vertical direction must be considered. Using this information, the equation F = ma can be used to find the tension in the rope needed to maintain constant velocity.
spectrum
This is the question I am working on:

An adult is pulling two small children in a sleigh over level snow. The sleigh and children have a total mass of 47 kg. The sleigh rope makes an angle of 23 degrees with the horizontal. The coeffcient of friction between the sleigh and the snow is 0.11. Calculate the magnitude of the tension in the rope needed to keep the sleigh moving at a constant velocity. (Hint: The normal force is not equal to the force of gravity.)

I drew a FBD diagram and broke the information down;

m = 47 kg
a = 0
uk = 0.11

Now the way I was going to do it was find normal force, then use that in (FN)(uk ) = Fk to find the kinetic friction.

Then I was going to put Fk = Ft (kinetic friction = tension)

However, I am having difficulting finding the normal force, since it is not equal to force of gravity.

Thanks in advance.

O, and it's my first day here, hello all posters.

Physics news on Phys.org
Go back to your FBD. The rope pulls on the sleigh at an angle. Therefore, there is a component of rope force in the positive vertical direction. That's why the normal force isn't equal to gravity (it's something less).

hotvette said:
Go back to your FBD. The rope pulls on the sleigh at an angle. Therefore, there is a component of rope force in the positive vertical direction. That's why the normal force isn't equal to gravity (it's something less).

You know what, I was pondering that and think it would be ___sin23 but am not sure what would go in the blank.

That would be T, the tension in the rope. All you have to do is sum the forces, write F = ma (in the horizontal direction), and go from there. Hint: what can you say about acceleraton if velocity is constant?

What is a coefficient of friction?

A coefficient of friction is a unitless value that represents the amount of resistance between two surfaces in contact with each other. It is a measure of how difficult it is to slide one surface over another.

How is the coefficient of friction measured?

The coefficient of friction is typically measured using a device called a tribometer. This device applies a known force to an object and measures the resulting frictional force. The ratio of these two forces is the coefficient of friction.

What factors can affect the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction can be affected by several factors, including the nature of the two surfaces in contact, the amount of force applied, the speed of movement, and the presence of any lubricants or contaminants.

What are the different types of coefficients of friction?

The two main types of coefficients of friction are static and kinetic. Static friction is the resistance between two surfaces when there is no relative motion between them, while kinetic friction is the resistance when the surfaces are in motion.

How is the coefficient of friction used in real-world applications?

The coefficient of friction is used in many industries, including engineering, physics, and materials science. It is used to design and optimize machinery and equipment, improve the performance of materials, and ensure safety in various applications.