Calculating Tension in Cables: 1000N Beam with 2000N Filing Cabinet

In summary, a 1000N beam is supporting a 2000N filing cabinet with two cables. The beam is 8 meters long and the filing cabinet is 2 meters from the left cable. To find the tension force in each cable, moments must be taken about the right-hand end of the beam.
astru025

Homework Statement

A 1000N beam is loaded with a 2000N filing cabinet and supported by two cables. If the beam is 8 meters long and the filing cabinet is 2 meters from the left cable, what is the tension force in each cable?

Homework Equations

T= F /d

The Attempt at a Solution

For the left cable I tried T= 2000 N / 2 m. This answer was incorrect though.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi astru025! :smile:

What point did you take moments about? :confused:

I wasn't sure what point to take moments about... So I didn't take my moments about any certain point. What point should I use? And also I'm not very familiar with the point subject... It is no where in my notes/ or book.

Could you elaborate on the question more or is that just given? Plus could you show what you tired to do along with what was said at the back of the book?

edit: Also any angles given or the dimenssion of the cabinent in question?

Last edited:
astru025 said:
... So I didn't take my moments about any certain point.

ahhh … that explains it! :biggrin:

ok, take moments (of all forces) about the right-hand end of the beam

show us what you get :smile:

(we'll discuss why to choose that point when you've done it)

What is tension?

Tension is a force that is exerted by a cable, rope, or other object when it is pulled tight. It is measured in units of force, such as Newtons.

Why is it important to calculate tension in cables?

Calculating tension in cables is important for ensuring the structural integrity and safety of a system. It can also help determine the appropriate materials and design for a given application.

How is tension calculated in a cable?

Tension is calculated by dividing the force applied to the cable by the cross-sectional area of the cable. This results in a unit of force per unit of area, such as Newtons per square meter.

What is the tension in a 1000N beam with a 2000N filing cabinet?

The tension in this scenario would depend on the specific arrangement of the beam and cabinet. If the cabinet is suspended from the beam, the tension in the cable would be 2000N. If the cabinet is resting on the beam, the tension would be 0N.

How does tension affect the stability of a structure?

Tension can help keep a structure stable by evenly distributing forces and preventing the structure from collapsing under its own weight. However, too much tension can cause a structure to fail, so it is important to calculate and manage tension carefully.