Calculating the Angle of Tension in Tightrope Walking: A Physics Problem Solved

In summary, the tightrope walker is balanced on a rope at the midpoint with a tension of 4000N and a mass of 68kg. By calculating the force of the walker and assuming equal tension on each side of the rope, it was determined that the angle with the horizontal is 9.59 degrees.
Meowzers
Hi, I have tried to solve the following problem, and I have my work for it.

A tightrope walker is practicing. She is balanced on a rope at the exact midpoint of the rope. the tension in the rope is 4000N, and the mass of the tightrope walker is 68kg. Consider the left side of the rope. What angle with the horizntal does it make? State this as a positive number in degrees.

So first off, I calculated the force of the tightrope walker:
F=mg
F=(68kg)(9.8m/s2)
F=666.4N

Then, since the walker is in the middle of the rope, I assumed that the tension of each side of the rope would be 2000N. Plus, the triangle that she forms with the rope because she's in the center is isosceles. Therefore, the angle on both sides formed with the horizontal will be equal.

Next, I solved for the y-component of the diagram. The sum of the forces must equal 0 since there is no acceleration.

2000*sin(x) + 2000*sin(x) + 666.4N*sin(270) = 0
2000*sin(x) + 2000*sin(x) = 666.4
4000*sin(x) = 666.4
sin(x) = .1666
x = 9.59 degrees

Where am I making a mistake? Did I assume something incorrectly?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, I figured out my problem.

Your calculations and assumptions are correct. The mistake you made was in your final calculation of the angle. You used the inverse sine function instead of the inverse tangent function. To find the angle, you need to use the inverse tangent function, since you are looking for the angle formed between the rope and the horizontal. The correct calculation is:
tan(x) = 666.4/4000
x = 9.59 degrees

Remember to always check your units and use the appropriate trigonometric function for the given situation. Keep up the good work!

Related to Calculating the Angle of Tension in Tightrope Walking: A Physics Problem Solved

1. What is a force?

A force is a push or pull that causes an object to accelerate or change its motion. It can be measured in units of Newtons (N).

2. What are the different types of forces?

There are four main types of forces: gravitational, electromagnetic, strong nuclear, and weak nuclear. Other types include friction, tension, and normal force.

3. What is tension?

Tension is a type of force that is transmitted through a string, rope, or cable when it is pulled tight by forces acting from opposite ends. It is a pulling force that can be measured in units of Newtons (N).

4. How is tension different from compression?

Tension and compression are both types of forces that act upon an object, but they act in opposite directions. While tension is a pulling force, compression is a pushing force. Tension also occurs when the object is stretched, while compression occurs when the object is compressed or squeezed.

5. How can tension be calculated?

The formula for calculating tension is T = mg + ma, where T is the tension force, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and a is the acceleration of the object. Tension can also be calculated using Hooke's Law, which states that the force of tension is directly proportional to the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position.