Calculating the angle of the transmitted electric field.

In summary, to solve this problem, one must apply Snell's law and use the equations for tp and ts to find the angle between the transmitted electric field vector and the plane of incidence.
Sniperuml

Homework Statement

Plane polarized light is incident in air at an angle of incidence of 30 degrees on a glass surface with its electric field vector vibrating at 60 degrees to the plane of incidence. Calculate the angle between the transmitted electric field vector and the plane of incidence.

Homework Equations

ni sin(thetai) = ntsin(thetat)
n = 1.51 for glass

tp = ((2ni*cos(thetai))/[(ntcos(thetai) + (nicos(thetat))]

ts = ((2ni*cos(thetai))/[(nicos(thetai + ntcos(thetat))]

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer supplied is thetagamma = 59.6 degrees. (supplied by professor)

I know the right way to approach this is to set tan(gamma) = ratio of the perpendicular part of the E-field over the parallel part of the E-field in the material (i.e. the glass). Rewrite equation to in terms of ts and tp and tan(gamma) in the incident.

How to actually do this? I have no idea. I got this far and it took my an entire weekend to get this far. This a question on a test, I got the highest grade and I am the only undergrad in the class, and we all still failed. Any ideas?

The attached .pdf is my attempts at solving the problems.

Attachments

• IMG.pdf
    922.9 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_0001.pdf
    675 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

I would approach this problem by first reviewing the relevant equations and principles related to light reflection and refraction at an interface between two media with different refractive indices. The equation ni sin(thetai) = ntsin(thetat) is known as Snell's law and it describes the relationship between the incident angle (thetai), the refractive indices of the two media (ni and nt), and the angle of refraction (thetat). This equation can be applied to both the parallel (tp) and perpendicular (ts) components of the electric field vector.

Next, I would identify the known values in the problem, such as the angle of incidence (30 degrees), the refractive index of glass (1.51), and the angle of the electric field vector (60 degrees). From there, I would use the equations tp = ((2ni*cos(thetai))/[(ntcos(thetai) + (nicos(thetat))] and ts = ((2ni*cos(thetai))/[(nicos(thetai + ntcos(thetat))] to calculate the parallel and perpendicular components of the electric field vector in the glass. Then, I would use the equation tan(gamma) = (ts/tp) to find the angle between the transmitted electric field vector and the plane of incidence (gamma).

In this case, the angle between the transmitted electric field vector and the plane of incidence is 59.6 degrees, as given by the professor. It is important to remember that this is just one possible approach to solving this problem and there may be other methods that could also yield the correct answer. it is important to be open to different approaches and to always double check your calculations to ensure accuracy.

What is the equation for calculating the angle of the transmitted electric field?

The equation for calculating the angle of the transmitted electric field is given by θt = sin-1(n1/n2 * sin(θi)), where n1 and n2 are the refractive indices of the medium the light is passing from and the medium it is entering, respectively, and θi is the angle of incidence.

What is the difference between the angle of incidence and the angle of refraction?

The angle of incidence is the angle at which light hits a surface, while the angle of refraction is the angle at which the light bends as it passes through that surface. The two angles are related by Snell's Law.

How does the refractive index of a medium affect the angle of the transmitted electric field?

The refractive index of a medium determines how much the light will bend as it passes through that medium. A higher refractive index means that the light will bend more, resulting in a larger angle of refraction.

What factors can affect the calculation of the angle of the transmitted electric field?

The calculation of the angle of the transmitted electric field can be affected by the surface characteristics and composition of the materials involved, as well as the wavelength of the light being transmitted.

Why is it important to calculate the angle of the transmitted electric field in scientific research?

Calculating the angle of the transmitted electric field is important in understanding how light interacts with different materials and surfaces. This information is crucial in various fields of scientific research, such as optics, material science, and atmospheric science. It also allows us to predict and control the behavior of light in different mediums, leading to advancements in technology and practical applications.