Calculating the Angular velocity and momentum of a rotating cuboid

In summary, an external torque must be exerted to sustain motion around the axis passing through the two opposite corners of a concrete block. The angular momentum around this axis is calculated using the moment of inertia per face, the length of the face, and the angular velocity.
tomphys

Homework Statement

A concrete block is a uniformly dense cuboid of dimensions 40 x
20 x 10 cm, with mass M. It is constrained to rotate about an axis passing
through two opposite corners and its centre of mass, with constant angular
speed ω.

Calculate the direction of the angular momentum of the block.
Explain why an external torque must be exerted to sustain motion around
this axis. Hint: you will need to find the angular momentum component
along each principal axis.

Homework Equations

Moment of inertia perp. to block face = I = 1/12 m(a^2+b^2)
where a and b are the lengths of the sides of the face.

L = Iω

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that in order to find the angular momentum, I should first find the angular velocity for each principal axis, and then using the above formulas find the angular momentum for each axis, then use these components to find the total angular momentum.

I have calculated the angular momentum for each principal axis as:

L = 10000/3 mω - 10 by 20 face
L = 40000/3 mω - 10 by 40 face
L = 160000/3 mω - 20 by 40 face

I am unsure how to combine these components to find the total angular momentum, though I imagine it is through the use of cos(theta) and cos(phi).

Note: This is my first post, and I am unsure if this is the correct place to post it. I am in my second year of an undergraduate course, so this seemed appropriate.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello tomphys. Welcome to PF!

Would you mind showing how you got the following results? I get something different. Maybe I'm overlooking something.

tomphys said:
I have calculated the angular momentum for each principal axis as:

L = 10000/3 mω - 10 by 20 face
L = 40000/3 mω - 10 by 40 face
L = 160000/3 mω - 20 by 40 face

Using the formula shown above: I = 1/12 m(a^2+b^2)
where a and b are 10, 20, 40 for the various faces. Then L= Iω.
I have double checked them and am fairly certain they are numerically correct, but I may be making a method error.

Let x, y, z axes correspond to the principle axes. To find the x-component of angular momentum, you should use Lx = Ixωx. So, you need to find the x-component of the angular velocity vector.

Notice that in general you have L = Iω as a vector equation (L and ω are vectors, I is a matrix), meaning that the direction of L may not coincide with the direction of ω.

Also, when the involved values are given with coordinates relative to the body (so that the elements of I can be considered constant), the elements of both L and ω represent the instantaneous values relative to the body, not with respect to inertial space. Since ω for this problem also has constant element in body coordinates ("fixed rotation axis"), it means that L must also be constant in body coordinates, or equivalently, that L over time will move in a small circle around the ω-axis (that is, to the extend that L are not aligned with ω). Now you only need yet another equation (namely the rotational version of Newtons second law) in order to model and calculate the required torque.

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of the rate at which an object is rotating around a fixed axis. It is typically expressed in radians per second or degrees per second.

2. How do you calculate angular velocity?

Angular velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in angle by the change in time. The formula is: ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω is the angular velocity, Δθ is the change in angle, and Δt is the change in time.

3. What is the formula for calculating momentum of a rotating cuboid?

The formula for calculating the momentum of a rotating cuboid is: L = Iω, where L is the angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity.

4. How do you calculate the moment of inertia of a rotating cuboid?

The moment of inertia of a rotating cuboid can be calculated by using the formula: I = 1/12 * m * (a^2 + b^2), where m is the mass of the cuboid, a is the length of one side, and b is the length of the adjacent side.

5. What are the units for angular velocity and momentum?

The units for angular velocity are radians per second or degrees per second. The units for angular momentum are kilogram-meter squared per second or gram-centimeter squared per second.