Calculating the Average speed given two speeds

jnuz73hbn
Homework Statement
Hello, I have 2 speeds and need to calculate the average speed during the time traveled
Relevant Equations
Is it possible to solve this with:
$$ v_1= 115km/h $$ $$ v_2= 60km/h $$ solution: $$ \frac {v_1 + v_2}{2} $$

Physics news on Phys.org
No, this is not the average speed during the time travelled.

jnuz73hbn said:
Homework Statement: Hello, I have 2 speeds and need to calculate the average speed during the time traveled
You have two speeds at the same time ?

only one object that first moves at $$60km/h$$ and then at $$115km/h$$

You haven't really stated the full question. Average is a mathematical operation that can be applied to different problems in different ways. So, this may make sense if you are asking about the average result from a bunch of separate cars on a race track. But for one car driving on a highway the average speed for the whole trip is calculated from the total distance divided by the total time. For example, suppose I can drive for 10 minutes at 60mph (=10 miles) but then have to drive for 50 minutes at 30mph (=25 miles). My average speed would then be 35 miles in 1 hour.

Speed is distance divided by time. Normally you have to define what each of those are before you do the speed calculation.

Last edited:
Likes Orodruin, PeroK and BvU
DaveE said:
You haven't really stated the full question. Average is a mathematical operation that can be applied to different problems in different ways. So, this may make sense if you are asking about the average result from a bunch of separate cars on a race track. But for one car driving on a highway the average speed for the whole trip is calculated from the total distance divided by the total time. For example suppose I can drive for 10 minutes at 60mph (=10 miles) but then have to drive for 50 minutes at 30mph (=25 miles). My average speed would then be 35 miles in 1 hour.
i know that, but I only have two 2 speeds for a car, 60kmh in the first half of the journey and 115km/h in the second half

jnuz73hbn said:
only one object that first moves at $$60km/h$$ and then at $$115km/h$$
Always start with the definitions. What is the definition of average speed?

Likes MatinSAR
haruspex said:
What is the definition of average speed?
$$ v= \frac{s}{t} $$ but I dont have $$s$$ I only have two 2 speeds for a car, 60kmh in the first half of the journey and 115km/h in the second half

jnuz73hbn said:
i know that, but I only have two 2 speeds for a car, 60kmh in the first half of the journey and 115km/h in the second half
"half of the journey" is an important piece of information. Make up a value for total length for the trip and do the calculation. Then try it again for a different choice of total length. Does the length matter?

Or maybe "half" means half of the time. Try with different total times for the trip.

Likes MatinSAR
DaveE said:
"half of the journey" is an important piece of information. Make up a value for total length for the trip and do the calculation. Then try it again for a different choice of total length. Does the length matter?

Or maybe "half" means half of the time. Try with different total times for the trip.
Nothing is given about the route, you should only calculate using this information. It means half of the time.

jnuz73hbn said:
Nothing is given about the route, you should only calculate using this information.
The route doesn't matter. Turns don't matter. The only variables that go into a speed calculation are distance and time.

jnuz73hbn said:
If you drive halfway round a racetrack at a speed of 60 km/h and at a speed of 115 km/h for the the second half, then the average speed is not ##\frac{60 + 115} 2## km/h. That a common mistake.

jnuz73hbn said:
$$ v= \frac{s}{t} $$ but I dont have $$s$$ I only have two 2 speeds for a car, 60kmh in the first half of the journey and 115km/h in the second half
"Half the journey" is not very specific. It could mean "half of the time" or "half the distance". Each of those will give different results for the average speed. You need to specify which one you mean.

Likes jbriggs444
PeroK said:
If you drive halfway round a racetrack at a speed of 60 km/h and at a speed of 115 km/h for the the second half, then the average speed is not ##\frac{60 + 115} 2## km/h. That a common mistake.
but look, at the half of the driving time, speed is 60km/h, in the second half driving time, speed = 115km/h.

Orodruin said:
"Half the journey" is not very specific. It could mean "half of the time" or "half the distance". Each of those will give different results for the average speed. You need to specify which one you mean.
first half of time=60km/h; second half of time is 115km/h

jnuz73hbn said:
So, if the journey takes two hours, then the first half of the journey is 60 km and the second half of the journey is 115 km?

Likes Lnewqban
jnuz73hbn said:
So, assume that the full time is ##T##. How far do you get in the total journey? The average speed is that distance divided by ##T##.

For the other case, assume that the total distance is ##D##. How long will it the journey take travelling ##D/2## at the first speed and then ##D/2## at the second speed? The average speed is then ##D## divided by that time.

I suggest you perform both of these computations to find out that the result is not the same.

Likes MatinSAR and PeroK
$$t_1=\frac{D/2}{v_1}$$
that means:
$$v=\frac{2}{1/v_1+1/v_2}$$

Orodruin said:
So, assume that the full time is ##T##. How far do you get in the total journey? The average speed is that distance divided by ##T##.

For the other case, assume that the total distance is ##D##. How long will it the journey take travelling ##D/2## at the first speed and then ##D/2## at the second speed? The average speed is then ##D## divided by that time.

I suggest you perform both of these computations to find out that the result is not the same.
is this new formula correct?

jnuz73hbn said:
$$t_1=\frac{D/2}{v_1}$$
that means:
$$v=\frac{2}{1/v_1+1/v_2}$$
That is correct if the two distances are the same. This expression is known as the "harmonic mean".

jnuz73hbn said:
is this new formula correct?
For the case of travelling half the distance at each speed, yes. Note that it can also be written:
$$
\frac 1v = \frac 12\left( \frac 1{v_1} + \frac 1{v_2}\right)
$$
ie, the reciprocal of the mean speed is the average of the reciprocals of the two speeds.

The case if half the time at each velocity is different as already mentioned.

What is the formula for calculating average speed given two speeds?

The formula for calculating average speed given two speeds is: average speed = total distance / total time. This means dividing the total distance traveled by the total time taken to travel that distance.

Can the average speed be higher than the two given speeds?

Yes, the average speed can be higher than the two given speeds. This can happen if the distance traveled at the higher speed is longer than the distance traveled at the lower speed, or if the time taken at the higher speed is shorter than the time taken at the lower speed.

What units should be used for the distance and time in the formula?

The units used for distance and time should be consistent. For example, if the distance is measured in kilometers, then the time should be measured in hours. If the distance is measured in meters, then the time should be measured in seconds.

Can the average speed be negative?

No, the average speed cannot be negative. Speed is a scalar quantity and is always positive. If the two given speeds are in opposite directions, the average speed will be the difference between the two speeds, but it will still be a positive value.

What other factors can affect the average speed?

The average speed can also be affected by factors such as traffic, road conditions, and weather. These factors can cause variations in the speed at which a person or object travels, and therefore impact the average speed.