Calculating the Effective Spring Constant of a Charged DNA Molecule

In summary, a molecule of DNA (deoxyribonucleic acid) can become singly ionized with a negative charge on one end and a positive charge on the other. When this happens, the helical molecule compresses by 1.09% and remains in equilibrium. To determine the effective spring constant of the molecule, the force F is calculated using the equation k = F/x, where x is the distance between the charges. Using a distance of 2.06*10^-6 m, the calculated force is 2.07 x 10-6 m, resulting in an effective spring constant of 2.31*10^-9 N/m. However, there seems to be a discrepancy in the calculated force of
Kdapik
A molecule of DNA (deoxyribonucleic acid) is 2.09 µm long. The ends of the molecule become singly ionized: negative on one end, positive on the other. The helical molecule acts like a spring and compresses 1.09% upon becoming charged, and remains in this equilibrium position. Determine the effective spring constant of the molecule. I did calculate F and I got 5.27*10^-17 then I found x which is 2.27*10^-8
I found k from the equation k= f/x
I got 2.31*10^-9 N/m
But still, it's the wrong answer :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Kdapik. Welcome to PF!

I get a somewhat larger value for the force F. What did you use for the distance between the charges when you calculated F?

TSny said:
Hello Kdapik. Welcome to PF!

I get a somewhat larger value for the force F. What did you use for the distance between the charges when you calculated F?
2.06*10^-6 m

OK, that's pretty close to what I get (2.07 x 10-6 m). I still don't see how you are getting 5.27 x 10-17 N for the force. Can you show all the numbers that you used to get F?

1. What are electrical charges?

Electrical charges are a fundamental property of matter that describes the attraction or repulsion between particles due to their inherent positive or negative charge. They are responsible for the flow of electricity in conductive materials.

2. How are electrical charges measured?

Electrical charges are measured using a unit called Coulomb (C). One Coulomb is equal to the amount of charge that passes through a point in a conductor in one second when a current of one ampere (A) is flowing.

3. What is the difference between positive and negative charges?

Positive charges are associated with protons, which have a positive charge, while negative charges are associated with electrons, which have a negative charge. Opposite charges attract each other, while like charges repel each other.

4. How do electrical charges interact with each other?

Electrical charges interact with each other through the electromagnetic force, which is one of the four fundamental forces of nature. This force can be attractive or repulsive, depending on the types of charges involved.

5. Can electrical charges be created or destroyed?

No, according to the law of conservation of charge, electrical charges cannot be created or destroyed. They can only be transferred from one object to another. This means that the total amount of charge in a closed system remains constant.