Calculating the efficency of a hydrogen fuel cell

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the efficiency of a small hydrogen fuel cell. The formula for calculating efficiency is discussed, as well as the measurements and calculations for the electrical power in and out. The attempt at finding the efficiency for the car is also mentioned, along with questions about the correct way to calculate force. The conversation ends with a correction that it took 1.3 amps to electrolyze the water.
redsox5

Homework Statement

I'm trying to calulate the efficency of a small hydrogen fuell cell that I built. I have all of the measurements, but I'm not coming up with a resonable effiency.

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{P OUT}{P IN}[/tex]x 100

The power to electrolyze the water is the P IN.
3.25 W =2.5 V x .00021 Amps (.21 mA)

We measured the electrical power out finding the voltage and amperage.
P OUT = V x I
2.01 x 10^-4 W=.96 V x .00021 AMPS (.21 mA)

I caulcate the force to be 1.421 N

Then I take the electrical P Out and use it as the P IN for the car

the P IN for the car is the electrical P Out

and the P Out for the car is F x V

To find the % efficiency:

[tex]\frac{p Out of the Car}{P in Car}[/tex] x 100

The avg velocity is .0198 m/s

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm coming up with an unreasonable calculation

Physics news on Phys.org
To the Electrical power I'm coming up with:

P IN = 2.5 V x 1.3 AMPS = 3.25 W

P Out = .96 x .00021 amps = 2.01 x 10 ^ -4 W

I'm taking the P Out and using it as the power In for the car.

For the car:

P in = 2.01 x 10^-4 W
P Out = F x V
2.81 x 10^-2 J = 1.421 N x .0198 m/s

P out/ p in x 100
13980 definitely isn't reasonable.
Should my P in and P out for the car both be in Joules?

Also I'm not sure if I'm calculating the force in th right way. We used a spring scale and my measurement was .160 kg. I'm I just supposed to multiply that by 9.8 m/s^2. I know that this way gives me Newtons, but the car isn't being affected by gravity anyways. If someone could look this over I'd appreciate it.

can someone just let me know if I'm calculating the force the rigt way?

correction: it took 1.3 amps to electroylze the water

1. How do you calculate the efficiency of a hydrogen fuel cell?

The efficiency of a hydrogen fuel cell can be calculated by dividing the amount of electrical energy produced by the fuel cell by the amount of chemical energy contained in the hydrogen fuel. This calculation can be expressed as a percentage and is typically done using the formula: Efficiency = (Electrical energy produced / Chemical energy of hydrogen fuel) x 100%.

2. What factors affect the efficiency of a hydrogen fuel cell?

There are several factors that can affect the efficiency of a hydrogen fuel cell, including the type and quality of the materials used, the operating temperature, the amount of reactants (hydrogen and oxygen) supplied to the cell, and the design and size of the fuel cell.

3. Why is it important to calculate the efficiency of a hydrogen fuel cell?

Calculating the efficiency of a hydrogen fuel cell allows scientists and engineers to determine the effectiveness of the fuel cell in converting chemical energy into electrical energy. This information can be used to improve the design and performance of fuel cells and to compare the efficiency of different fuel cell technologies.

4. Can the efficiency of a hydrogen fuel cell be greater than 100%?

No, the efficiency of a hydrogen fuel cell cannot be greater than 100%. This is because the maximum amount of electrical energy that can be produced by a fuel cell is limited by the amount of chemical energy contained in the hydrogen fuel. However, with advancements in technology and design, fuel cells are becoming more efficient, approaching efficiencies of around 60%.

5. How does the efficiency of a hydrogen fuel cell compare to other types of fuel cells?

The efficiency of a hydrogen fuel cell can vary depending on the factors mentioned above, but in general, it is considered to be one of the most efficient types of fuel cells. For example, a hydrogen fuel cell typically has an efficiency of around 60%, while a gasoline-powered internal combustion engine has an efficiency of around 20%. However, there are other types of fuel cells, such as solid oxide fuel cells, that can have efficiencies of up to 60% as well.