Calculating the equation for a float in a rotameter

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a rotameter and the equations involved in calculating the float's velocity over time. The speaker is unsure of how to set up a force balance equation and is seeking clarification on the initial phases of motion. They suggest conducting a search for more information on the working principle of the float rotameter and encourage the listener to ask for help with any specific difficulties.
akhan90
I'm trying to design a rotameter, a flowmeter consisting of a float in a tube of increasing area (like a cone). I know the equations equating drag with gravity, but I'm more interested in the equation of the float's velocity over time, just as steady state flow begins (so x(0)=0)

Because the velocity of fluid is changing at different points in the meter, I don't exactly know how to set up a force balance equation, if that's even what I need to do. I would guess velocity would be in terms of both position and time, but I'm not certain.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The working principle of the float rotameter is well known . A simple search will yield a large amount of useful information .

Please come back if you have any specific difficulties .

Nidum said:
The working principle of the float rotameter is well known . A simple search will yield a large amount of useful information .

Please come back if you have any specific difficulties .

I know the working principle of equating drag and gravity to find the final position. My difficulty has to do with the initial phases of motion prior to when the float reaches steady state, in other words, when flow isn't maintained long enough for the rotameter float to reach steady state position.

1. What is a float in a rotameter?

A float in a rotameter is a small, weighted object that is placed inside a glass or plastic tube to measure the flow rate of a liquid or gas. The float will rise or fall based on the velocity of the fluid passing through the tube.

2. What is the equation for calculating the float position in a rotameter?

The equation for calculating the float position in a rotameter is F = (ρf - ρg) / (ρf - ρ) where F is the float position, ρf is the density of the fluid, ρg is the density of the float, and ρ is the density of the surrounding medium (usually air). This equation can be used to determine the flow rate of the fluid based on the position of the float.

3. How do you determine the density of the float and the fluid in a rotameter?

The density of the float can be determined by weighing it on a scale and measuring its volume using a graduated cylinder. The density of the fluid can be found in a reference table or by using a density meter.

4. What are some factors that can affect the accuracy of the equation for calculating the float position?

Some factors that can affect the accuracy of the equation include changes in temperature, pressure, and viscosity of the fluid, as well as variations in the shape and size of the float. It is important to take these factors into consideration when using the equation to ensure accurate measurements.

5. Can the equation for calculating the float position be used for all types of fluids?

No, the equation is only valid for Newtonian fluids, which have a constant viscosity regardless of the shear stress applied to them. Non-Newtonian fluids, such as blood or ketchup, may require different equations or modifications to the existing equation to accurately calculate the float position.