Calculating the field outside a solenoid

In summary, the conversation discusses the impact of placing iron in and around a solenoid on the magnetic flux density (B). It is noted that B can be calculated using the Biot-Savart law, but this law requires the magnetic vacuum permeability. Placing iron inside the solenoid increases B due to the electrical currents and atomic magnetic dipoles of the iron. The same effect is observed when placing iron outside the solenoid, but it is much stronger when placed in the core. The conversation ends with a question about the effect of having iron only outside the solenoid on B.
albertrichardf
Hello.
I know you can calculate the magnetic flux density (B) outside a solenoid using Biot-Savart law, but the law uses the magnetic vacuum permeability.
Suppose that I placed an iron core in the solenoid, but not outside it. How does B outside change?
And now suppose that I place a piece of iron in the solenoid, and I place a piece of iron away from the solenoid, not connected to the first piece. How does that affect B at that point? And does it make a difference if it was one piece of iron, connected to the one inside the solenoid?
Finally if there is no iron inside the solenoid, but there is one outside it, does that affect the magnetic flux density at the iron?

Thank you for answering.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
With Biot Savart you should integrate current elements to get magnetic field at a point. Placing iron would affect the field because electrical currents are going on inside it.

In all cases the magnetic field becomes stronger when you put a piece of iron, either in the core or outside the solenoid. The reason is that when putting the iron you have , except the magnetic field due to the current, the additional magnetic field due to the atomic magnetic dipoles of the iron. It doesn't matter where you put the iron, the field becomes stronger, however when you put the iron in the core the field becomes much more stronger than when you put the iron in a point outside.

1. How do you calculate the field outside a solenoid?

To calculate the field outside a solenoid, you can use the formula B = μ0 * n * I, where B is the magnetic field, μ0 is the permeability of free space, n is the number of turns per unit length of the solenoid, and I is the current in the solenoid.

2. What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is a coil of wire that produces a magnetic field when an electric current is passed through it.

3. What is the direction of the magnetic field outside a solenoid?

The magnetic field outside a solenoid is directed in the same direction as the field inside the solenoid. This means that the field lines are parallel to the axis of the solenoid.

4. How does the field outside a solenoid compare to the field inside?

The field outside a solenoid is weaker than the field inside. This is because the magnetic field lines outside the solenoid are more spread out compared to the tightly packed field lines inside the solenoid.

5. Can the field outside a solenoid be manipulated?

Yes, the field outside a solenoid can be manipulated by changing the number of turns per unit length, the current in the solenoid, or the permeability of free space. Additionally, the field can be shielded or redirected using materials with different magnetic properties.