Calculating the Field strength of a magnet at a certain distance

In summary, there is no straightforward way to calculate the magnetic field strength of a permanent magnet at a certain distance without specialized equipment. The listed tools could be used to indirectly measure the field strength, but it would be difficult and the results may not be accurate. Additionally, the strength of the field may vary depending on the shape and distance from the magnet. Cutting a magnet in half may affect the strength of the field, but it is not a reliable method for controlling the field strength. Each type of permanent magnet material may have its own unique constant, but this is not a reliable method for determining the field strength either.
kaikalii
Is there a way to calculate the magnetic field strength, B, of a magnet (permanent magnet, not an electromagnet) at a certain distance? I assume it follows the inverse square law, but other than that, I do not know what to do.

Tools I have available:
  • permanent magnet
  • ammeter/voltmeter
  • wire
  • batteries
  • spring scale
  • ruler

I am aware of the equations: F=8.99*109q1q2/r2, F=qVB(sinθ), and F=BIL(sinθ), but I do not know how I would use those to calculate the field strength with just the tools listed above.

Also, if you were to cut a magnet in half, would that half the strength of the magnetic field? Does every type of permanent magnet material have some kind of Tesla per meter2 per kilogram constant?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you really want to calculate the field? Your inclusion of a list of tools suggests that you want to measure it.

The equations you have listed won't help you calculate the field strength at a distance from the magnet, though [itex]F = Bqv sin \theta [/itex] is the basis of the Hall probe for measuring the field strength, and [itex]F = BIL sin \theta [/itex] could also be used - with considerable practical difficulties - for this purpose. Your list of tools seems to be chosen with this last method (measuring the force due to the field on a current-carrying wire) in mind.

Close to the magnet the field will vary in a complicated way, partly dependent on the magnet's shape. Far from the magnet (say > 5 times the magnet's greatest dimension. e.g. length) I would expect the field to fall off roughly as the inverse cube of the distance from the centre of the magnet.

Last edited:

1. How do you calculate the field strength of a magnet at a certain distance?

To calculate the field strength of a magnet at a certain distance, you will need the magnetic field strength of the magnet (in Tesla) and the distance from the magnet (in meters). Divide the magnetic field strength by the distance squared to get the field strength at that distance.

2. What is the unit of measurement for magnetic field strength?

The unit of measurement for magnetic field strength is Tesla (T).

3. How does the distance from the magnet affect the field strength?

The field strength decreases as the distance from the magnet increases. This is because the magnetic field spreads out as it moves away from the magnet, resulting in a weaker field at a greater distance.

4. Can the field strength of a magnet be negative?

No, the field strength of a magnet cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as it represents the strength and direction of the magnetic field.

5. Is there a formula for calculating the field strength of a magnet at any distance?

Yes, the formula for calculating the field strength of a magnet at any distance is B = m/4πr^2, where B is the field strength, m is the magnetic moment of the magnet, and r is the distance from the magnet.