Calculating the flux of a vector field

Slimy0233
Homework Statement
Q.18. The flux of the vector field ##\vec{F}=(x+y) \hat{i}+(x-3 y) \hat{j}+x y \hat{k}## through the surface defined by the equation ##x^{2}+y^{2} \leq a^{2}, x>0, y>0##, will be
(a) ##a^{4} / 8##
(b) ##a^{4} / 4##
(c) ##a^{2} / 8##
(d) ##a^{2} / 4##
Relevant Equations
##\vec{F}=(x+y) \hat{i}+(x-3 y) \hat{j}+x y \hat{k}##
I am not sure why latex is not rendering, but here is the question.
1697874194177.png
1697872890966.png

The answer is ##\frac{a^2}{8}## and for the love of my life, I don't know how. Can you please help me with this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\int_S xy dS= \int_0^a r^2 rdr \int_0^\frac{\pi}{2} \sin\theta \cos \theta d\theta[/tex]
Azimuthal integration gives 1/2.

anuttarasammyak said:
[tex]\int_S xy dS= \int_0^a r^2 rdr \int_0^\frac{\pi}{2} \sin\theta \cos \theta d\theta[/tex]
Azimuthal integration gives 1/2.
I am DOUBT! azimuthal integration is a new phrase for me. I think it's the equivalent of what I learnt as integration using spherical co-ordinates, but still, I don't see how you can get 1/2 there. Also, isn't dr 0? We are integrating with radius r as constant (a). We are given a surface [tex]x^2 + y^2 \leq a^2[/tex]

I think$$\int_{x=0}^a \int_{y=0}^a xy ~dx~dy$$should actually be$$\int_{x=0}^a \int_{y=0}^{\sqrt {a^2-x^2}} xy~ dy~dx$$
And on 'dimensional' grounds, I think the answer should be a multiple of ##a^4## rather than ##a^2##. So the 'official answer' might be wrong.

Likes MatinSAR
Steve4Physics said:
I think$$\int_{x=0}^a \int_{y=0}^a xy ~dx~dy$$should actually be$$\int_{x=0}^a \int_{y=0}^{\sqrt {a^2-x^2}} xy~ dy~dx$$
And on 'dimensional' grounds, I think the answer should be a multiple of ##a^4## rather than ##a^2##. So the 'official answer' might be wrong.
can you please explain the limits of the integral more? I mean, I put a as the limit of the integral as it's a part of a circle we are talking about here, why are you putting a different limit?

edit: Damn! Yes! It's a circle we are talking about, I seem to have calculated the area of a square. Yes?

Slimy0233 said:
edit: Damn! Yes! It's a circle we are talking about, I seem to have calculated the area of a square. Yes?
Yes!

• Informative
Likes Slimy0233
Slimy0233 said:
can you please explain the limits of the integral more? I mean, I put a as the limit of the integral as it's a part of a circle we are talking about here, why are you putting a different limit?
Draw ##xy## axes and the 1st quadrant.

Draw a thin vertical ‘elementary’ strip of thickness ##dx## for some value of ##x## inside the quadrant. Note:
- the left side of the strip has x-coordinate ##x##;
- the right side of the strip has x-coordinate ##x+dx##;
- the bottom edge of the strip is a has y-coordinate = 0;
- the top edge of the strip has y-coordinate ##\sqrt {a^2-x^2}## (that’s the key point).

When you integrate ##xy## over the elementary strip you get ##\int_{y=0}^{y=\sqrt {a^2-x^2}} xy~ dy~dx##. (Then it remains to integrate the contributions from all the strips.)

Can you take t from there?

• Care
Likes Slimy0233
Steve4Physics said:
Can you take t from there?
It was very kind of you to explain that well and that much!

I can take it from there, thank you! I managed to solve it.
DocScanner_116909489552867.jpg
DocScanner_116966761071806.jpg

Likes Steve4Physics

1. What is the purpose of calculating the flux of a vector field?

The flux of a vector field measures the flow of a vector quantity through a given surface. It is used to understand the behavior of a vector field and can be applied in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.

2. How is the flux of a vector field calculated?

The flux of a vector field is calculated by taking the dot product of the vector field and the unit normal vector to the surface, and then integrating this product over the surface.

3. What is the significance of the direction of the flux?

The direction of the flux indicates whether the vector field is flowing into or out of the surface. A positive flux indicates a net flow out of the surface, while a negative flux indicates a net flow into the surface.

4. Can the flux of a vector field be negative?

Yes, the flux of a vector field can be negative. This indicates that the vector field is flowing into the surface, rather than out of it.

5. How is the flux of a vector field related to the divergence of the vector field?

The flux of a vector field is equal to the divergence of the vector field multiplied by the volume enclosed by the surface. This relationship is known as the divergence theorem and is a fundamental concept in vector calculus.