Calculating the Gauge of a Copper Wire for a Thermometer Bridge Circuit

In summary, the question asks you to determine the smallest gauge wire that will work with a certain maximum temperature. You should use the resistance of the thermometer, which is given as ##R_0=112~\Omega## at 20 oC.
PaxFinnica96
Homework Statement
a. The resistance thermometer bridge circuit shown in FIGURE 1 has a designed maximum temperature of 200°C, ignoring the effects of connecting wire resistance. If the connecting loop is 250 m determine the smallest gauge (swg) of copper wire which must be used if the indicated maximum temperature is to be less than 202°C.
The temperature coefficient of resistance of the thermometer is 0.0042 °C–1 and the resistance of the thermometer is 112 Ω at 20°C. Assume the connecting leads are at 20°C.
b. Using the gauge of copper wire calculated in part (a), calculate the maximum indicated temperature using a 3-wire system (as shown in FIGURE 2) over a distance of 125 m.
Relevant Equations
Rt = R0(1 + at)

R1RT = R2RS

R = pL/A = Resistance = (Resistivity) x Length of wire / cross-sectional area

A = (pi x d2) / 4

d = squareroot(4A /pi)

Hi All,

Really struggling to get my head around what I'm doing wrong - every time my answer of wire diameter comes out too small for what's included in the table of SWG. I must be doing something wrong somewhere - my attempt is below.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
1 m = 103 mm
1 m2 = 106 mm2
4.22 x 10-8 m2 = ? mm2

kuruman said:
1 m = 103 mm
1 m2 = 106 mm2
4.22 x 10-8 m2 = ? mm2
Ah ok, but 4.22 x10^-8 m^2 = 0.0422 mm^2 however I cannot see this value of diameter in the SWG table provided - do you think it would be easier to calculate the ohm/m for copper instead or is there another error in my method?

PaxFinnica96 said:
Ah ok, but 4.22 x10^-8 m^2 = 0.0422 mm^2 however I cannot see this value of diameter in the SWG table provided - do you think it would be easier to calculate the ohm/m for copper instead or is there another error in my method?
1. You don't need to calculate ohm/m; it is given in the table you posted.
2. Can you explain how you think this bridge circuit is supposed to work? Specifically, how does this "fundamental interval" enter the picture?

Ok, well I believe the bridge is designed to be balanced so that the value of resistance, RS, can be calculated and thus related to the resistance (ant therefore temperature) of the thermometer. It is this value I have used to incorporate into my rearranged resistivity equation to determine the wire diameter. Am I right to use the fundamental interval of the thermometer to calculate the wire size of the connecting loop?

The question is more complex than simply calculating a diameter and looking it up.
First, you misunderstood the table. The numbers have units of Ohm/m. These are not resistivities but resistances per unit length for a given gauge. The dimensions of resistivity are Resistance times Length.
Secondly, the resistance of the thermometer is given as ##R_0=112~\Omega## at 20 oC. You should not have to recalculate it but should use it in the equation for the temperature dependence of the thermometer.
Thirdly, the question asks you to "determine the smallest gauge (swg) of copper wire which must be used if the indicated maximum temperature is to be less than 202°C." Why would a thermometer that has a maximum designed temperature of 200 oC give a reading of 202 oC? Stated differently, suppose you determined independently that the thermometer is at 200 oC, yet the bridge balances at a thermometer resistance appropriate to 202 oC, where did the extra resistance come from?

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of calculating the gauge of a copper wire for a thermometer bridge circuit?

The gauge of a copper wire is an important factor in determining the resistance of the wire, which is crucial in a thermometer bridge circuit. This circuit is used for measuring temperature and relies on the precise resistance of the wire to accurately calculate the temperature.

2. How do I calculate the gauge of a copper wire for a thermometer bridge circuit?

The gauge of a copper wire can be calculated using the formula: Gauge = (0.005·92)^(36-AWG)/39. The AWG (American Wire Gauge) is a standard measurement for wire size, ranging from 0000 (largest) to 40 (smallest). The formula takes into account the wire's diameter and length to determine its gauge.

3. What factors affect the gauge of a copper wire in a thermometer bridge circuit?

The gauge of a copper wire is primarily influenced by its length and diameter. The longer the wire, the higher the resistance, and the smaller the diameter, the higher the resistance. Other factors that can affect the gauge include the material of the wire and its temperature.

4. Can I use any gauge of copper wire in a thermometer bridge circuit?

No, the gauge of the copper wire used in a thermometer bridge circuit must be carefully selected to ensure accurate temperature readings. Using a wire with a gauge that is too large or too small can result in incorrect measurements and affect the overall performance of the circuit.

5. Is there a standard gauge of copper wire used in thermometer bridge circuits?

There is no standard gauge of copper wire used in thermometer bridge circuits as it can vary depending on the specific application and requirements. However, commonly used gauges include 24, 26, and 28 AWG, which provide a good balance between resistance and sensitivity.