Calculating the mass of the wheel on a pendulum on a watch

In summary, the problem involves calculating the mass of a balance wheel of a watch based on its radius, oscillation frequency, and torque. The attempt at a solution involved using equations for moment of inertia, torque, and rotational motion, but a mistake was made in converting degrees to radians. The complete problem includes calculating the mass of the balance wheel.
NathanLeduc1

Homework Statement

The balance wheel of a watch is a thin ring of radius 0.95 cm and oscillates with a frequency of 3.10 Hz. If a torque of 1.1x10-5 Nm causes the wheel to rotate 45°, calculate the mass of the balance wheel.

Homework Equations

I=mr2
T=(2π)sqrt(I/mgh)
τ=-Kθ

The Attempt at a Solution

I got an answer but it's wrong...

Here's the work I did:
1.1e-5=-K(pi/2)
K=-7.003e-6
19.5 rad/s = sqrt (7.003e-6/(M(0.0095m)2))
380.25 rad/s2 = 7.003e-6 Nm / 9.025e-5m M
M*0.0343 m/s2 = 7.003e-6 Nm
m = 2.04e-4 kg

The answer should be 0.41g
(I realized just now that I took the square root of a negative number earlier. I tried to redo the problem but I'm still stuck...) Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
NathanLeduc1 said:

Homework Statement

The balance wheel of a watch is a thin ring of radius 0.95 cm and oscillates with a frequency of 3.10 Hz. If a torque of 1.1x10-5 Nm causes the wheel to rotate 45°, calculate the mass of the balance wheel.

Homework Equations

I=mr2
T=(2π)sqrt(I/mgh)
τ=-Kθ

The Attempt at a Solution

I got an answer but it's wrong...

Here's the work I did:
1.1e-5=-K(pi/2)
K=-7.003e-6
19.5 rad/s = sqrt (7.003e-6/(M(0.0095m)2))
380.25 rad/s2 = 7.003e-6 Nm / 9.025e-5m M
M*0.0343 m/s2 = 7.003e-6 Nm
m = 2.04e-4 kg

The answer should be 0.41g
(I realized just now that I took the square root of a negative number earlier. I tried to redo the problem but I'm still stuck...) Thanks!
Is that the complete problem, word for word.

It seems that some information is missing. I could guess at what's missing, but it would be just a guess.

Yep, that's the question word for word.

What is 45o in radians?

pi/4

Oh my goodness... I just realized why you were asking me that. Wow, I am dumb. Man, those stupid mistakes get me every time. Thanks for the help.

1. How do you calculate the mass of the wheel on a pendulum on a watch?

To calculate the mass of the wheel on a pendulum on a watch, you will need to measure the time period of the pendulum and the length of the pendulum. Then, you can use the formula m = T^2 x g / (4π^2 x L), where m is the mass of the wheel, T is the time period, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and L is the length of the pendulum.

2. What is the importance of calculating the mass of the wheel on a pendulum on a watch?

The mass of the wheel on a pendulum on a watch is an important factor in determining the accuracy of the watch. A heavier wheel will have a longer time period, resulting in a slower and less accurate watch. By calculating the mass, watchmakers can adjust the weight of the wheel to achieve the desired accuracy.

3. Can the mass of the wheel on a pendulum on a watch be changed?

Yes, the mass of the wheel on a pendulum on a watch can be changed by adding or removing weight from the wheel. This is a common method used by watchmakers to fine-tune the accuracy of a watch.

4. What is the effect of changing the mass of the wheel on a pendulum on a watch?

Changing the mass of the wheel on a pendulum on a watch will affect the time period of the pendulum. A heavier wheel will have a longer time period, resulting in a slower and less accurate watch. A lighter wheel will have a shorter time period, resulting in a faster and more accurate watch.

5. Are there any other factors that affect the accuracy of a watch besides the mass of the wheel on a pendulum?

Yes, there are many other factors that can affect the accuracy of a watch, such as the length and material of the pendulum, the friction in the movement, and external factors like temperature and humidity. All of these factors must be carefully considered and adjusted to achieve the desired accuracy in a watch.