Calculating Torque on a Potter's Wheel

In summary, the potter's wheel has a radius of 0.50 m, a mass of 100.0 kg, and is rotating at 50.0 rev/min. The potter can stop the wheel in 6.0 seconds by pressing a wet rag against the rim. The angular acceleration of the wheel is 0.87 rad/sec^2. The torque applied by the potter to the wheel is 11 Nm, calculated using the formula torque = I * alpha, with I representing the moment of inertia and alpha representing the angular acceleration.
chamonix

Homework Statement

A potter's wheel of radius 0.50 m and mass 100.0 kg is freely rotating at 50.0 rev/min. The potter can stop the wheel in 6.0 seconds by pressing a wet rag against the rim.
a. What is the angular acceleration of the wheel?
b. How much torque does the potter apply to the wheel?

Homework Equations

t=Ia
a=w/t

The Attempt at a Solution

a. (50/60*2*pi)=5.235988 rad/sec
5.235988/6=.87 rad/sec^2
b. I didnt understand this portion of the question. I tried .5^2*100*5.235988 but the answer was not 11 Nm which I know is the answer. Please help! Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
You want

torque = I * alpha

not I * omega, that is angular momentum. Check your calculation.

Also, if you are assuming the wheel is a solid cylindrical disk, then I = 0.5MR^2, so your above I value is not correct if that's the case.

Last edited:
So...in this case, i should go .5*100*.5^2=12.5?
But the answer given is 11 Nm. I don't understand. :(

chamonix said:
So...in this case, i should go .5*100*.5^2=12.5?
But the answer given is 11 Nm. I don't understand. :(

You didn't multiply by alpha! torque = I*alpha. If you do that you will get the right answer. You found the right value of alpha in part (a).

Oh, ok. My fault. Ok. Alpha.
so... .5*100*.5^2*.87=10.9=11Nm! ok. Thank you!
Sorry, I must have overlooked that alpha part. Thank you.

Related to Calculating Torque on a Potter's Wheel

1. What is torque on a potter's wheel?

Torque on a potter's wheel is the twisting force that is applied to the clay on the wheel by the potter's hands. It is what causes the clay to spin and take shape.

2. How does torque affect the pottery making process?

Torque is a crucial factor in the pottery making process as it determines the speed at which the wheel spins and the force applied to the clay. It also affects the overall shape and symmetry of the pottery.

3. What is the relationship between torque and speed on a potter's wheel?

The relationship between torque and speed on a potter's wheel is inverse. This means that as the torque increases, the speed of the wheel decreases, and vice versa.

4. How can I increase the torque on a potter's wheel?

The torque on a potter's wheel can be increased by applying more force to the clay with your hands. This can be achieved by pushing down on the clay or by using tools to compress and shape the clay.

5. Can the torque on a potter's wheel be adjusted?

Yes, the torque on a potter's wheel can be adjusted by changing the speed of the wheel or by using different techniques to apply force to the clay. It can also be affected by the type of clay being used and its moisture content.