Calculating the Moment of Inertia of a loaded flywheel

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the moment of inertia and torque needed for a flywheel and attached cam follower. There is a question about which mass to use when calculating the moment of inertia, and clarification is given on the formula and definition of inertia. The conversation also discusses the rotation of the load and how it affects torque. Finally, there is a question about the distance to use for calculating torque.
wakadarc
Hi,

I need to calculate the moment of inertia of this flywheel so I can calculate the torque I need.

T= I*alpha

Attached is an image of the flywheel the cam follower that will be attached to the shaft (left shaft in this picture). When calculating the Moment of Inertia, what mass do I use? The mass of the cam follower will be atleast 100KG (another load will be on top of that).

Can I just use I=1/2 * M*R^2

I will need a torque larger than what is required to rotate the loaded flywheel as the load will be variable.

Thanks,

Attachments

• IMG_1476.JPG
    IMG_1476.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 983
Engineering news on Phys.org
wakadarc said:
Can I just use I=1/2 * M*R^2
As for your purpose, the formula will be close enough. It's the formula for a solid cylinder ( there is a groove at the outside of your wheel ).

The exact formula/definition is

I = r2⋅dm.

Remember the inertia of the axle and the motor, assuming they are rotating as well.

T = I * dω/dt

Last edited:
Thanks but for the equation

I=MR^2 do I use the mass of the flywheel (in KG) or the entire assembly? (The cam shaft plus the load on top of it aka 150 KG). The flywheel will need to rotate with that load which will move vertically up and down.

Thanks,

wakadarc said:
I=MR^2 do I use the mass of the flywheel (in KG) or the entire assembly?
As for the rotating parts ( wheel+axle+motor ) you must calculate the inertias individually, then add these inertias.

As for the load, you must place its mass at a distance = R from the center axis. As for the inertia it dosn't matter if the load is moving vertically or horizontally, but when the load is moved vertically, it will result in a torque, which has nothing to do with inertia.

Tload = m*g*R, even if dω/dt = 0.

Sorry just so we are on the same page I made a side view of the entire assembly. So the rectangle on the far right is the fly wheel. The horizontal shaft connected to it is the offset shaft (that will cause the platform (the other horizontal rectangle) to move up andr e down. The cam (the rectangle with the X) is attached to the shaft. Finally the box on the very top is the load which is resting on the plat form. In this picture it would be moving in a circular motion but I used linear bearings so restrict it to vertical motion.

So for your equation Tload = m*g*R

the R would be from the center of the fly wheel to the center of mass of the box (load)?

Attachments

• Part1.PNG
    Part1.PNG
    30.4 KB · Views: 811
wakadarc said:
I made a side view of the entire assembly. So the rectangle on the far right is the fly wheel. The horizontal shaft connected to it is the offset shaft (that will cause the platform (the other horizontal rectangle) to move up andr e down. The cam (the rectangle with the X) is attached to the shaft. Finally the box on the very top is the load which is resting on the plat form. In this picture it would be moving in a circular motion but I used linear bearings so restrict it to vertical motion.
Sorry, I'm a kind of an extra terrestrial here ( don't understand technical english well ), so somebodies assistance needed.

wakadarc said:
R would be from the center of the fly wheel to the center of mass of the box (load)?
R is the distance from the center of the wheel to the center of the wire carrying the load.

1. What is the formula for calculating the moment of inertia of a loaded flywheel?

The formula for calculating the moment of inertia of a loaded flywheel is I = ½mr², where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the flywheel, and r is the radius of the flywheel. This formula assumes that the mass of the flywheel is evenly distributed and that it is rotating about its central axis.

2. How do I determine the mass and radius of the loaded flywheel?

The mass of the loaded flywheel can be determined by weighing it on a scale. The radius can be measured by using a ruler or caliper to measure the distance from the center of the flywheel to the outer edge.

3. Can the moment of inertia of a loaded flywheel change?

Yes, the moment of inertia of a loaded flywheel can change if there are changes in the mass distribution or the shape of the flywheel. For example, adding or removing weights from the flywheel or changing the shape of the flywheel will alter its moment of inertia.

4. How does the moment of inertia affect the performance of a loaded flywheel?

The moment of inertia affects the rotational acceleration and deceleration of a loaded flywheel. A higher moment of inertia means that the flywheel will be more resistant to changes in its rotational velocity, while a lower moment of inertia makes it easier to change the rotational velocity.

5. Can the moment of inertia of a loaded flywheel be negative?

No, the moment of inertia of a loaded flywheel cannot be negative. It is a physical property that represents the resistance of an object to changes in its rotational motion. Negative values do not make sense in this context.