Calculating the monochromatic flux of a star

• Thread starter Chowie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flux Star
In summary, the problem involves calculating the monochromatic flux at 500 nm for a star with a photospheric temperature of 5000 K, a radius of 0.9Ro, and a distance of 20 pc from Earth. Using the Planck curve and the given hint, the monochromatic surface flux was calculated to be 3.773*10^13 Wm^-3 and 2.358*10^-12 W m^-2 micrometres^-1. To convert this into straight monochromatic flux, the surface area was multiplied by the monochromatic surface flux, resulting in a value of 5.844*10^-3 Wm^-2micron^-1. Further discussion involves
Chowie

Homework Statement

A star has a photospheric temperature of 5000 K, a radius of 0.9Ro, (Ro = radius of sun). If the star is 20 pc away, calculate the monochromatic flux (In Wm^2micron^-1) at 500 nm, measured at Earth.

Calculated the surface area to be 1.6416*10^18 m^2.

Homework Equations

We were given this hint: The plank curve gives the monochromatic surface flux and is:
28dffa1d28e22ed29fa9494f07727b2a.png
where Beta was given to us as 2*pi*h*c^2. with k being the Boltzman constant, h being the Planck constant and c the speed of light

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the monochromatic surface flux to be 3.773*10^13 Wm^-3 and 2.358*10^-12 W m^-2 micrometres^-1 (These are the units for straight monochromatic flux, I'm just guessing here, I'm pretty sure they're not the same) however I have no idea how to convert this into straight monochromatic flux. My friend thinks another solution is to calculate the bolometric flux and then convert it into monochromatic, any suggestions?

EDIT: Another possible solution might be to do with combining the surface area and surface flux in some manner, however I do not know the units for surface flux and there isn't much literature about it ( the first result in google for monochromatic surface flux is this post >_>)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Any help would be greatly appreciated! EDIT: I have managed to calculate the monochromatic flux by multiplying the surface area by the monochromatic surface flux, I calculated it to be 5.844*10^-3 Wm^-2micron^-1. Is this right?

Related to Calculating the monochromatic flux of a star

1. How is the monochromatic flux of a star calculated?

The monochromatic flux of a star is calculated by taking the ratio of the amount of energy emitted by the star at a specific wavelength to the area of the sphere surrounding the star at that distance. This can be represented by the equation F = L/4πd2, where F is the monochromatic flux, L is the luminosity of the star, and d is the distance from the star to the observer.

2. What units are used to measure monochromatic flux?

Monochromatic flux is typically measured in units of watts per square meter per nanometer (W/m2/nm). This unit represents the amount of energy emitted by the star per second, per square meter of surface area, at a specific wavelength.

3. How does the monochromatic flux of a star vary at different wavelengths?

The monochromatic flux of a star can vary significantly at different wavelengths. This is because stars emit different amounts of energy at different wavelengths, depending on their temperature and composition. For example, a star with a higher temperature will emit more energy at shorter wavelengths (blue light) than at longer wavelengths (red light).

4. Can the monochromatic flux of a star change over time?

Yes, the monochromatic flux of a star can change over time. This can be due to a variety of factors, such as changes in the star's luminosity, composition, or distance from the observer. For example, a star may undergo a period of increased or decreased activity, which can affect its monochromatic flux.

5. How is the monochromatic flux of a star used in astronomical research?

The monochromatic flux of a star is an important parameter that is used in various astronomical research studies. It can be used to determine the temperature, luminosity, and composition of a star, as well as its distance from Earth. Additionally, studying the monochromatic flux of a star over time can provide insights into its evolution and behavior.