MCNP Flux and Power Calculation

In summary: Additionally, there are resources available online, such as research papers, that may provide helpful examples and methods for determining axial and radial flux and power distribution in a reactor assembly using MCNP6.2.
mhovi
TL;DR Summary
Axial and Radial Flux distribution of a reactor fuel assembly. Also Power distribution in each cell.
During a reactor assembly calculation, I need to determine axial and radial flux distribution over the surface. When I use F2 and F4 tally I get some value with unit 1/cm**2
What does the value means, neutron flux is supposed to be in the 10^14 range but output values are 10^2 range.
Can anyone guide me on how to determine axial and radial flux and also power distribution in a reactor assembly in MCNP6.2?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'll start with the basic stuff I know. Flux is particles per centimeter squared. In MCNP this is per source particle. Dimensionally particles per cm2 per particle cancel out to 1/cm2. ** just means to the power of.

Your actual flux number looks a little odd. I would check the tally divisors are correct, surface area if F2, volume if F4. Showing us your input file is helpful, without it this is just a guess.

Your question implies a critical reactor, and in a state of k=1 the neutron flux is whatever you want it to be. Set up the problem, get normalised results from MCNP and then calculate the answer using whatever values you know for the problem.

I had a bit of an idiot moment reading your question and for a short time was wondering why you would want flux resolved parallel to a cylinders surface. My googling found https://www.researchgate.net/publication/349683390_Calculation_of_the_Radial_and_Axial_Flux_and_Power_Distribution_for_a_CANDU_6_Reactor_with_both_the_MCNP6_and_Serpent_Codes_The_MCNP61_and_Serpent_1119_codes_were_used_for_Monte_Carlo_transport_calcul which ended my confusion and seems to address your problem. There is no example sadly, but it goes through the method quite well step by step. Have a read and see if it answers any other of your questions.

From my understanding, the value 1/cm**2 represents the number of neutrons passing through a unit area (1 cm**2) per unit time. This value is typically used to measure the neutron flux, which is the rate at which neutrons are moving through a given area.

In order to determine the axial and radial flux distribution, you can use the F2 and F4 tally results in conjunction with the geometry of your reactor assembly. These tallies will give you the neutron flux at specific points in the assembly, which you can then use to create a distribution map.

To determine the power distribution, you can use the flux results along with the cross-sections of the materials in your assembly to calculate the power generated at each point. This can be done using the formula P = Φ * σ * V, where P is power, Φ is flux, σ is cross-section, and V is volume.

I suggest consulting the MCNP6.2 user manual or seeking guidance from experienced users for more specific instructions on how to perform these calculations.

1. What is MCNP Flux and Power Calculation?

MCNP Flux and Power Calculation is a computational tool used in nuclear engineering to simulate and analyze the flux and power distribution of neutrons in a nuclear reactor.

2. How does MCNP Flux and Power Calculation work?

MCNP Flux and Power Calculation uses Monte Carlo methods to simulate the movement and interactions of neutrons in a reactor. It takes into account various parameters such as material composition, geometry, and neutron cross-sections to calculate the flux and power distribution.

3. What is the importance of MCNP Flux and Power Calculation in nuclear engineering?

MCNP Flux and Power Calculation is a crucial tool in nuclear engineering as it allows for accurate prediction of the neutron flux and power distribution in a reactor. This information is essential for reactor design, safety analysis, and optimization of fuel loading patterns.

4. What are the limitations of MCNP Flux and Power Calculation?

Although MCNP Flux and Power Calculation is a powerful tool, it has some limitations. It requires a detailed and accurate input model, and the calculations can be time-consuming. It also relies on the accuracy of input data, such as neutron cross-sections, which can have uncertainties.

5. How is MCNP Flux and Power Calculation validated?

MCNP Flux and Power Calculation is validated by comparing its results with experimental data and other computational tools. This helps to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the calculations. Additionally, sensitivity analysis can be performed to assess the impact of input parameters on the results.