Calculating the motion of air cylinder

In summary,The motion of the air can be neglected in comparison to the motion of the glass. Even then, we are told to show that, not assume it.
Some1WhoNeedsHelp
Poster us reminded to always show their work in schoolwork questions
Homework Statement
Find the time and velocity of the cylinder
Relevant Equations
ρ=m/V
Q3.png

I am stuck at A, how do you calculate the motion of the air?
I know ρ=m/V but what is the mass of the air, or I got that question wrong?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
BvU said:
Doesn't it vaguely say the motion of the air can be neglected ?
The opposite… that the motion of the glass can be neglected in comparison to the motion of the air. Even then, we are told to show that, not assume it.

Some1WhoNeedsHelp said:
what is the mass of the air
I think you are supposed to treat it as a body of air, at atmospheric pressure, of the same volume as the space to be filled. As such, it is just a mass to be propelled by a constant pressure difference.
What bothers me is the mix of basic and advanced concepts in the one question. Makes it hard to know what degree of sophistication is expected in the answer. Are we expected to treat it as Bernoulli for compressible fluid?
I guess we can rule out a molecular kinetics approach, in which there would be no specific time at which the air as a whole reaches the water. Rather, some molecules would arrive at up to 400m/s, others rather later as they bounce around along the way.

Likes Some1WhoNeedsHelp
Thread closed for Moderation...

Thread will remain closed.

Some1WhoNeedsHelp said:
Homework Statement:: Find the time and velocity of the cylinder
Relevant Equations:: ρ=m/V

I am stuck at A, how do you calculate the motion of the air?
I know ρ=m/V but what is the mass of the air, or I got that question wrong?
@Some1WhoNeedsHelp -- Please post a new thread start with the suggestions that I sent you in a PM. Thank you.

Likes BvU

1. How do you calculate the motion of an air cylinder?

The motion of an air cylinder can be calculated using the equation F = ma, where F is the force applied to the cylinder, m is the mass of the cylinder, and a is the acceleration of the cylinder.

2. What factors affect the motion of an air cylinder?

The motion of an air cylinder can be influenced by factors such as the air pressure, the size and shape of the cylinder, and any external forces acting on the cylinder.

3. How does air resistance affect the motion of an air cylinder?

Air resistance can slow down the motion of an air cylinder, as it creates a force that opposes the direction of motion. This force increases as the speed of the cylinder increases.

4. Can the motion of an air cylinder be predicted accurately?

The motion of an air cylinder can be predicted with a certain degree of accuracy using mathematical equations and models. However, external factors such as air turbulence or friction can affect the actual motion of the cylinder.

5. Are there any real-life applications of calculating the motion of an air cylinder?

Yes, calculating the motion of an air cylinder is important in various industries such as manufacturing, transportation, and aerospace. It can also be used in designing and optimizing pneumatic systems and machinery.