Calculating the point where potential V = 0 (due to 2 charges)

In summary: So for real world cases you need to find a function that goes to infinity as the distance from the charges gets large, and that's what I'm trying to do.
link223
Homework Statement
Two point charges, and are placed
5.0 cm apart on the x axis. At what points along the x axis is
(a) the electric field zero and (b) the potential zero? Let
V = 0 at r = infinity.
Relevant Equations
Electric potential
Apparently, there are two solutions where the electric potential is zero which I don't understand, can I get some input on how this is possible?
I have one thing in mind (which I just thought of and might solve it), the equipotentiality i.e. when I draw a circle for V = 0 around the negative charge it will have 2 points where V = 0 one to the right and one to the left because the equipotential lines are continuous. Is that reasoining correct?
1652454851056.png

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not able to read your photo very well. The problem statement does not say what the magnitudes of the 2 charges are.

Also, please have a look at the "LaTeX Guide" link below the Edit window. Posting math equations in LaTeX is *much* more readable that posting dim photos of your hand-written work (and is required by the PF rules). Thanks.

Likes nasu
link223 said:
Homework Statement:: Two point charges, and are placed
5.0 cm apart on the x axis. At what points along the x-axis is
(a) the electric field zero and (b) the potential zero? Let
V = 0 at r = infinity.
Relevant Equations:: Electric potential

Apparently, there are two solutions where the electric potential is zero which I don't understand, can I get some input on how this is possible?
I have one thing in mind (which I just thought of and might solve it), the equipotentiality i.e. when I draw a circle for V = 0 around the negative charge it will have 2 points where V = 0 one to the right and one to the left because the equipotential lines are continuous. Is that reasoining correct?
View attachment 301419
There must be two solutions in principle because you got a quadratic, and your argument is basically sound, but there will be degenerate cases. E.g. if the charges are equal and opposite then one solution goes to infinity.

1. What is the formula for calculating the point where potential V = 0?

The formula for calculating the point where potential V = 0 is V = kQ/r, where V is the potential, k is the Coulomb constant, Q is the charge, and r is the distance between the two charges.

2. How do you determine the distance between the two charges?

The distance between the two charges can be determined by measuring the distance between the two charges using a ruler or by using the distance formula, d = √(x2-x1)^2 + (y2-y1)^2, if the charges are located on a coordinate plane.

3. What is the significance of calculating the point where potential V = 0?

Calculating the point where potential V = 0 is important because it helps determine the equilibrium point between two charges. This point is where the electric potential energy is at its minimum and the charges are in a stable position.

4. Can the point where potential V = 0 be negative?

Yes, the point where potential V = 0 can be negative if the charges have opposite signs. In this case, the potential energy is negative and the charges are in an unstable position.

5. How does distance between the charges affect the point where potential V = 0?

The distance between the charges directly affects the point where potential V = 0. As the distance increases, the potential V = 0 point moves further away from the charges. This means that the potential energy at this point decreases, making the charges more stable.