Calculating the propagator of a Spin-2 field

In summary: So, by taking the functional derivative of the field with respect to the point source, we are essentially calculating the propagator.To learn more about functional derivatives and their applications in physics, you can read about variational calculus or consult a textbook on quantum field theory.
avnl
TL;DR Summary
Right now I'm working on spin-2 theories and have to calculate the propagator for a general Lagrangian, I'm trying to use the same method use by P. van Nieuwenhuizen in his paper about ghost free tensor Lagrangians https://doi.org/10.1016/0550-3213(73)90194-6.
Nieuwenhuizen uses a method for calculating the propagator by decomposing the field ## h_{\mu\nu}, ## first into symmetric part ## \varphi_{\mu\nu} ## and antisymmetric part ## \psi_{\mu\nu} ##, and then by a spin decomposition using projector operators. Using this he writes the dynamical equation
## M^{\rho\sigma}_{\mu\nu} h_{\rho\sigma} = 2 \kappa \tau_{\mu\nu}, ##
as follows
## M^S h = \left( \sum_i C_i^S P_i^S \right) h = 2 \kappa \left( \sum_{i} \hat{P}^S_i \right) \tau ,##
## M^A h = \left( \sum_i C_i^A P_i^A \right) h = 2 \kappa \left( \sum_{i} \hat{P}^A_i \right) \tau ,##
Where ## M^{(A),S} ## is the (anti)symmetric part of the dynamical operator, ## C^{(A),S}_i ## are the (anti)symmetric coefficients which in momentum space are linear to the momentum squared ##k^2## and the squared mass ##m^2##, and the ## P^{(A),S}_i ## are the (anti)symmetric projector operators, he then solves the dynamical equation for each projection and uses those solutions to calculate the propagator ## \Pi_{\mu\nu\rho\sigma} ## using the following relation
## \Pi_{\mu\nu\rho\sigma} = \left. \frac{\delta h_{\mu\nu}}{\delta \tau^{\rho\sigma}} \right|_{\tau = 0}. ##
what I don't understand is this final relation and where does it come from. If someone can explain it and give me somewhere to read about it I would be grateful.

Physics news on Phys.org

The final relation you are referring to is known as the "functional derivative" or "variational derivative" of the field ##h_{\mu\nu}## with respect to the source term ##\tau_{\rho\sigma}##. It is a way of calculating how the field ##h_{\mu\nu}## changes in response to small changes in the source term ##\tau_{\rho\sigma}##.

To understand where this relation comes from, we first need to understand what is meant by a "functional derivative". In ordinary calculus, we are familiar with the concept of a derivative of a function with respect to a variable. For example, if we have a function ##f(x)##, the derivative of this function with respect to the variable ##x## is given by ##\frac{df}{dx}##. This tells us how the function changes as we vary the variable ##x##.

In the case of a functional derivative, we are dealing with functions that depend on other functions. In other words, our "variables" are actually functions themselves. So instead of taking the derivative with respect to a variable ##x##, we take the functional derivative with respect to another function ##g(x)##, denoted by ##\frac{\delta f}{\delta g}##. This tells us how the function ##f## changes as we vary the function ##g##.

Now, let's apply this concept to the relation given in the forum post. We have a field ##h_{\mu\nu}## that depends on the source term ##\tau_{\rho\sigma}##. The functional derivative of ##h_{\mu\nu}## with respect to ##\tau_{\rho\sigma}## is written as ##\frac{\delta h_{\mu\nu}}{\delta \tau_{\rho\sigma}}##. This tells us how the field ##h_{\mu\nu}## changes as we vary the source term ##\tau_{\rho\sigma}##.

The reason this relation is used to calculate the propagator is because the propagator is defined as the response of the field to a point source. In other words, it is the functional derivative of the field with respect to a point source. This is why we set the source term ##\tau_{\rho\sigma}## to be zero in the final relation - it represents the point source.

1. What is the propagator of a Spin-2 field?

The propagator of a Spin-2 field is a mathematical function that describes the probability amplitude for a spin-2 particle to travel from one point in space to another. It is an essential tool in quantum field theory for calculating the interactions between particles.

2. How is the propagator of a Spin-2 field calculated?

The propagator of a Spin-2 field is calculated using Feynman diagrams, which are graphical representations of mathematical equations that describe the behavior of particles. The propagator is obtained by summing over all possible Feynman diagrams that contribute to the interaction between two particles.

3. What is the significance of the propagator in quantum field theory?

The propagator is a fundamental concept in quantum field theory as it allows us to calculate the probability of interactions between particles. It also provides insights into the underlying symmetries and properties of the field, such as its mass and spin.

4. Can the propagator of a Spin-2 field be experimentally verified?

Yes, the predictions of the propagator can be experimentally verified through high-energy particle collisions. By measuring the interactions between particles, we can confirm the validity of the calculated propagator and gain a deeper understanding of the behavior of spin-2 particles.

5. Are there any applications of the propagator of a Spin-2 field?

Yes, the propagator of a Spin-2 field has many practical applications in fields such as particle physics, cosmology, and quantum gravity. It is used to study the behavior of fundamental particles and their interactions, as well as to make predictions about the early universe and the nature of spacetime.