Calculating the reflected power from solar radiation on the moon

In summary, when calculating the total power of solar radiation reflected from the Moon, it is necessary to multiply the flux density of the Sun as seen on the Moon by the cross-sectional area of the Moon, rather than half of its surface area. This is because the total sunlight falling on the Moon is equivalent to the sunlight falling perpendicularly onto a flat disc with the same diameter as the Moon.
mell0r
Question: The Moon has an albedo of 0.05. What is the total power of the solar radiation reflected from the Moon in units of 10^15 W?

My Answer: - To get my answer i multiplied the flux density of the sun measured on the moon, then multiplied it by half of the moon's total surface area, followed by the multiplication of the albedo value.

However, the mark scheme reads: 'Flux density of the Sun as seen on Moon times the cross-sectional area of the moon gives the total power of the solar radiation incident on the Moon. Multiplied by the albedo gives you the total power reflected.'

Could anybody explain why i should multiply by the cross-sectional area rather than half of the moon's surface area?

Cheers in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
hi mell0r! :smile:
mell0r said:
Could anybody explain why i should multiply by the cross-sectional area rather than half of the moon's surface area?

because the total sunlight falling on the moon is the same as that falling perpendicularly onto a flat disc of the same diameter as the moon :wink:

tiny-tim said:
because the total sunlight falling on the moon is the same as that falling perpendicularly onto a flat disc of the same diameter as the moon :wink:

Thanks for such a sudden reply! :smile: It seems so obvious now, but my mind would just not accept it at the time haha... Thanks to the help of a handy ping pong ball lying around the house it's overcome it though now :tongue:

What is solar radiation?

Solar radiation refers to the energy emitted by the sun in the form of electromagnetic waves, including visible light, ultraviolet rays, and infrared radiation.

How does solar radiation affect the moon?

Solar radiation plays a crucial role in shaping the surface of the moon and its environment. It causes temperature changes, creates shadows, and can even cause erosion on the moon's surface.

What factors influence the amount of solar radiation reflected by the moon?

The amount of solar radiation reflected by the moon depends on various factors, including the angle of incidence, the composition and texture of the moon's surface, and the moon's distance from the sun.

How is the reflected power from solar radiation on the moon calculated?

The reflected power from solar radiation on the moon can be calculated by using the formula: Reflected power = Solar constant x Albedo x (Radius of the moon/sun-moon distance)^2. The solar constant and albedo values are known constants, while the radius and distance values can be measured or estimated.

Why is calculating the reflected power from solar radiation on the moon important?

Calculating the reflected power from solar radiation on the moon helps scientists understand the moon's surface features and how they are affected by solar radiation. It also provides valuable information for planning future lunar missions and studying the moon's role in Earth's climate.