Calculating the relative humidity

In summary, the conversation involves calculating the FAD (free air delivery) and relative humidity of a compressor based on given information. The FAD is estimated to be 2.6324 m3 min-1 and the relative humidity is calculated using the formula absolute humidity/saturation quantity. The final FAD calculation is corrected to be 7.89 m3 min-1.
stackemup
Can anyone help me with the below?

Air is drawn into a compressor at normal temperature and pressure (N.T.P) and compressed to a pressure of 6 bar gauge. After compression the air is delivered at 1.2 m3 min-1 and cooled to a temperature of 30°C, at which point condensate is collected at the rate of 2 litres per hour. Estimate the FAD (N.T.P) of the compressor, and the relative humidity of the air entering the compressor.

I have calculated the FAD to be 2.6324 m3 min-1 but I am unsure on the relative humidity?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, just to expand this is how I calculated the FAD

V1= (P2 X V2 X T1) / (P1 X T2)
V1= (6 X 1.2 X 15) / (30 X 1.013)
V1= 108 / 30.39
∴ FAD of the compressor = 2.6324 m3 min-1

For the relative humidity I believe the below formula is correct

= absolute humidity / saturation quantity

I believe the saturation quantity present is 12.5 g m-3.

Can someone please advise me if I am correct so far and guide me how to find the absolute humidity?

Thanks

in my opinion both of your temperatures should be in °K, and P2 should be in absolute value, as your P1

These are my workings...

Facts;
P1 = 1.013bar
V1 = Unknown
T1 = 15 + 273 = 288K
P2 = 6 + 1.013 = 7.013
V2 = 1.2 m³-1
T2 = 30 + 273 = 303K

Formula:
V1= (P2 X V2 X T1) / (P1 X T2)
V1= (7.013 X 1.2 X 288) / (303 X 1.013)
V1= 2423.69 / 306.939

∴ FAD of the compressor = 7.89 m³ min-1

Does this look correct?

Was nearly right...

What is relative humidity and why is it important to calculate?

Relative humidity is a measure of the amount of water vapor in the air compared to the maximum amount of water vapor the air can hold at a specific temperature. It is important to calculate because it affects our comfort, health, and the behavior of materials.

What are the units used to measure relative humidity?

Relative humidity is typically measured in percentage (%). It can also be measured in grams of water vapor per cubic meter of air (g/m3).

How is relative humidity calculated?

Relative humidity can be calculated by dividing the actual amount of water vapor in the air by the maximum amount of water vapor the air can hold at a specific temperature, then multiplying by 100 to get a percentage.

What are the factors that affect relative humidity?

The main factors that affect relative humidity are temperature, air pressure, and the amount of water vapor in the air. Higher temperatures and lower air pressure can decrease relative humidity, while lower temperatures and higher air pressure can increase it.

Why does relative humidity change throughout the day?

Relative humidity can change throughout the day due to changes in temperature, air pressure, and the amount of water vapor in the air. It is typically higher in the morning and decreases as the temperature rises during the day, then increases again at night when temperatures cool down.