Relative humidity of the air entering a compressor

In summary, the problem involves a compressor that draws in air at normal temperature and pressure and compresses it to 6 bar gauge pressure. After compression, the air is delivered at a rate of 1.2m3 min-1 and cooled to a temperature of 30°C, at which point condensate is collected. The FAD (N.T.P.) of the compressor is estimated to be 7.9m3 min-1 and the relative humidity of the air entering the compressor is calculated to be 38.6%.
oxon88

Homework Statement

Air is drawn into a compressor at normal temperature and pressure (N.T.P.) and compressed to a pressure of 6 bar gauge. After compression the air is delivered at 1.2m3 min–1 and cooled to a temperature of 30°C, at which point condensate is collected at the rate of 2 litres per hour. Estimate the FAD (N.T.P.) of the compressor, and the relative humidity of the air entering the compressor.

Homework Equations

P1 * V1 / T1 = P2 * V2 / T2

The Attempt at a Solution

Inlet conditions
P1 = 1.013 Bar abs
T1 = 15°C = 288.15°K

Outlet conditions
P2 = 6 Bar + 1.013 bar = 7.013 bar abs
V2 = 1.2m3 min-1
T2 = 30°C = 303.15°K

P1*V1/T1 = P2*V2/T2

V1 = P2*T1V2 / P1*T2
V1 = 6 * 288.15 * 1.2 / 1.013 * 303.15

V1 = 7.9m3 min-1 FAD (NTP)

Can anyone help me with calculating the relative humidity of the air entering the compressor?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ive had a go at Calculating the Relative Humidity (RH). Have I used the correct method to calculate RH?Inlet conditions
7.9m3 min-1 * 60 = 474m3 / hour

Using a Dew-point Chart (at 1.013 bar) to find the amount of moisture present in saturated air at 15°C = 12.5 g

Saturation Quantity = 12.5g * 474m3 / hour = 5925 g / hourOutput conditions
1.2m3 min-1 * 60 = 72m3 / hour

Using a pressure Dew-point Chart (at 7.013 bar abs) to find the amount of moisture present in saturated air at 30°C = 4 g

Saturation Quantity = 4g * 72m3 / hour = 288 g / hour

Absolute Humidity = 288g + 2000g = 2288 g / hour

Relative Humidity = (2288 / 5925) * 100 = 38.6%

I read this as saying that hot air exits the compressor at 1.2 cu ft/min. CORRECTION: 1.2 m3/min. Then after this it is cooled to 30°C. Do you think this is what it's saying?

For an adiabatic process, I think you also have ##pv^\gamma##=const
but whether you need to apply that here I can't say. (I have not dealt with thermodynamics of fluids since I was a student.)

Have you looked at the similar threads listed at the foot of this page? There's no guarantee they are automatically correct, of couse.

Last edited:
NascentOxygen said:
I read this as saying that hot air exits the compressor at 1.2 cu ft/min. Then after this it is cooled to 30°C. Do you think this is what it's saying?
cubic meters per minute. Big difference.

Likes NascentOxygen

What is relative humidity of the air entering a compressor?

The relative humidity of the air entering a compressor is a measure of the amount of water vapor present in the air compared to the maximum amount of water vapor that can be present at a given temperature.

Why is the relative humidity of the air entering a compressor important?

The relative humidity of the air entering a compressor is important because it affects the efficiency and performance of the compressor. High humidity levels can cause increased wear and tear on the compressor, while low humidity levels can lead to dryness and potential damage to the compressor.

How is the relative humidity of the air entering a compressor measured?

The relative humidity of the air entering a compressor is typically measured using a hygrometer, which measures the amount of water vapor in the air and calculates it as a percentage of the maximum amount of water vapor that can be present at a given temperature.

What factors can affect the relative humidity of the air entering a compressor?

Several factors can affect the relative humidity of the air entering a compressor, including the temperature of the air, the temperature and humidity of the surrounding environment, and the amount of moisture present in the air. Changes in these factors can impact the amount of water vapor in the air and therefore the relative humidity.

How can the relative humidity of the air entering a compressor be controlled?

The relative humidity of the air entering a compressor can be controlled through the use of dehumidifiers or air conditioners, which remove moisture from the air. Additionally, proper ventilation and insulation can help regulate the humidity levels in an environment and therefore the air entering the compressor.