Calculating the relevant variables for a rotating habitat

In summary, the habitat will rotate once every 612 seconds and the linear velocity of the rim will be 2957 km/hr.
Bizmuth

1. Homework Statement

I want to calculate the rotational period and surface velocity of a Bishop Ring with a radius of 80 km and a surface 'gravity' of 0.86 G

I should note that this isn't for homework. It's for personal interest. I'm looking for a sanity check on this. The homework forum just seemed the best place for this type of question.

Homework Equations

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_gravity the formula to calculate the rotational period for a given radius and desired gravity is

t = 2 * pi * (r/a)^.5

where t is time, r is radius of the habitat, and a is desired acceleration (gravity)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
0.86 G = 8.428 m/s^2

2 * pi * (80,000/8.428)^.5 = 612 seconds

circumference = 2 * pi * 80 km = 502.65 km

linear velocity = 502.65 / 612 = 0.82 km/s = 2957 km/hrSo the habitat will rotate once every 612 seconds, and the velocity of the rim will be 2957 km/hr

Did I brain-fart anywhere in here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bizmuth said:

Homework Statement

I want to calculate the rotational period and surface velocity of a Bishop Ring with a radius of 80 km and a surface 'gravity' of 0.86 G

I should note that this isn't for homework. It's for personal interest. I'm looking for a sanity check on this. The homework forum just seemed the best place for this type of question.

Homework Equations

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_gravity the formula to calculate the rotational period for a given radius and desired gravity is

t = 2 * pi * (r/a)^.5

where t is time, r is radius of the habitat, and a is desired acceleration (gravity)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
0.86 G = 8.428 m/s^2

2 * pi * (80,000/8.428)^.5 = 612 seconds

circumference = 2 * pi * 80 km = 502.65 km

linear velocity = 502.65 / 612 = 0.82 km/s = 2957 km/hrSo the habitat will rotate once every 612 seconds, and the velocity of the rim will be 2957 km/hr

Did I brain-fart anywhere in here?
It looks good to me. :smile:

There is the possibility of a very minor rounding error in your work. But given your choice of g = 9.8 m/s2, which has only two significant figures, any such rounding errors would be pretty meaningless anyway.

Oh, and one last thing, the period -- the amount of time for a single rotation -- is typically denoted as capital T rather than lowercase t.

Btw, nice work!

Last edited:
Thank you!

Likes collinsmark

1. What are the main variables to consider when calculating a rotating habitat?

The main variables to consider when calculating a rotating habitat are the radius of the habitat, the angular velocity, the gravitational acceleration, the atmospheric pressure and the temperature. These variables are important in determining the habitability of the habitat for humans.

2. How does the radius of the habitat affect the calculation?

The radius of the habitat is a crucial variable in determining the centrifugal force experienced by the occupants of the habitat. As the radius increases, the centrifugal force also increases, which can lead to discomfort or health issues for the inhabitants. Therefore, the radius must be carefully chosen to ensure a balance between gravity and the centrifugal force.

3. What is the significance of angular velocity in calculating a rotating habitat?

The angular velocity of the habitat is important in determining the rotation rate and the resulting centrifugal force. A higher angular velocity means a faster rotation rate and a greater centrifugal force. This must be carefully considered to ensure the comfort and safety of the inhabitants.

4. How does atmospheric pressure impact the calculation of a rotating habitat?

The atmospheric pressure within the habitat must be carefully maintained to mimic Earth's atmosphere. This is important for the health and well-being of the inhabitants. The pressure must also be taken into account when calculating the forces acting on the habitat and its occupants.

5. Why is temperature an important variable in calculating a rotating habitat?

The temperature within the habitat must be carefully regulated to ensure the comfort and safety of the inhabitants. The rotation of the habitat can create temperature variations, so it is important to consider the effects of rotation on temperature and make necessary adjustments to maintain a suitable temperature for humans.