Calculating the Speed of Dolphins Seen Through a Glass Window

In summary: If the dolphin is a distance X behind the glass, then the apparent 'depth' is X. So what's the apparent depth (distance) in terms of X? Then you can compare the actual speed (ΔX/Δt) with the apparent speed.
sona1177

Homework Statement

At a marine animal park, Alison is looking through a glass window and watching dolphins swim underwater. If the dolphin is swimming directly toward her at 15 m/s, how fast does the dolphin appear to be moving?

Homework Equations

v=15 m/s
I realize that due to the refraction of light coming off of the dolphin, the dolphin appears to be swimming slower than it actually is.

I am supposed to use the concept of the the refraction of light: Snell's Law, but I'm not really seeing how to approach the problem here.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: If the dolphin is a distance X behind the glass, what is the apparent distance behind the glass according to Alison?

It's the same? X?

sona1177 said:
It's the same? X?
No. If it were the same, then the apparent speed would be the same as the actual speed.

Look up apparent depth.

Doc Al said:
No. If it were the same, then the apparent speed would be the same as the actual speed.

Look up apparent depth.

I know that n=1.33 but what does that have to do with apparent depth?

sona1177 said:
I know that n=1.33 but what does that have to do with apparent depth?
Did you look it up?

Yes. But the girl is not looking at the dolphin from an elevated position. The dolphin is swimming directly at her. I don't see how the depth is changing. I see how depth would be relevant if the girl were on top of a chair looking down, but she is at level with the dolphin.

sona1177 said:
Yes. But the girl is not looking at the dolphin from an elevated position. The dolphin is swimming directly at her. I don't see how the depth is changing. I see how depth would be relevant if the girl were on top of a chair looking down, but she is at level with the dolphin.
True, she's at the same horizontal level as the dolphin, but what matters is that the dolphin is behind a depth of water. Whether dolphin-water-girl form a vertical line (if she were looking down from above) or a horizontal line (like described here) doesn't matter. By 'depth' we mean the distance beyond the water surface--that surface could be horizontal or vertical--the light travels the same either way.

Doc Al, could you give me a little more to go with here? I need at least a start.

OK, say she is a distance X behind the glass. If I had the time, I could divide change in X over t, and get velocity. but I know nothing about time, all I know is the speed--15 m/s.

There is also nothing about apparent depth in my text but doing just from looking at the web, I am getting the formula

Apparent depth= Actual depth(ref index of air/ref index of water)

But we don't know the actual depth here! :(

sona1177 said:
OK, say she is a distance X behind the glass. If I had the time, I could divide change in X over t, and get velocity. but I know nothing about time, all I know is the speed--15 m/s.
But you know that ΔX/Δt is the actual speed.

sona1177 said:
There is also nothing about apparent depth in my text but doing just from looking at the web, I am getting the formula

Apparent depth= Actual depth(ref index of air/ref index of water)

But we don't know the actual depth here! :(
Good! That formula is all you need.

If the dolphin is a distance X behind the glass, then the actual 'depth' is X. So what's the apparent depth (distance) in terms of X? Then you can compare the actual speed (ΔX/Δt) with the apparent speed.

Related to Calculating the Speed of Dolphins Seen Through a Glass Window

1. How do you calculate the speed of dolphins seen through a glass window?

The speed of dolphins can be calculated by measuring the distance traveled over a certain period of time. This can be done by using a stopwatch or by counting the number of body lengths the dolphin travels in a given time frame. The speed is then calculated by dividing the distance by the time.

2. What factors can affect the accuracy of calculating the speed of dolphins through a glass window?

The accuracy of the speed calculation may be affected by factors such as the angle of observation, the quality of the glass window, and the behavior of the dolphins. The angle of observation can distort the perceived speed, while a dirty or warped glass window may also affect the accuracy of measurements. The behavior of dolphins, such as sudden changes in speed, can also make it challenging to calculate their speed accurately.

3. Is it possible to calculate the speed of dolphins without a glass window?

Yes, it is possible to calculate the speed of dolphins without a glass window. This can be done by using specialized equipment such as underwater cameras or acoustic tracking devices. These methods may provide more accurate measurements as they eliminate the potential distortions caused by a glass window.

4. How does the speed of dolphins seen through a glass window compare to their actual speed in the water?

The speed of dolphins seen through a glass window may not accurately reflect their actual speed in the water. As mentioned before, factors such as the angle of observation, quality of the glass window, and behavior of the dolphins can affect the accuracy of the measurement. Therefore, it is important to consider these factors when interpreting the speed calculated through a glass window.

5. Can the speed of dolphins be calculated using different methods?

Yes, there are various methods that can be used to calculate the speed of dolphins, such as visual observation, underwater cameras, and acoustic tracking devices. Each method may have its own advantages and limitations, so it is important to choose the most suitable method for the specific research or observation being conducted.